Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to check out a 2001 class A 26 foot motorhome with 34000 miles on it. He said it is big block chevy powered. What engines were available then and will it have enough power to handle the Pennsylvania hills towing my 24 foot race car trailer.

·
YB Managing Editor
51,136 Posts
The transmission gearing and converter is a big part of what pulls weight over hills. I'd make sure the correct trans is in it too. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Mine had a Vortec 454. I am sure they had a few changeover between the 454 and 8.1. Workhorse chassis

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
You will see slowdown on those big pa hills with a gasser pulling a 24 with a car. Don't push it hard and realize its going to happen.

I ran those some of those hills a couple years ago with my current 40ft DP pulling a 5000lb car heading to Gettysburg, some of those are big!

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The transmission gearing and converter is a big part of what pulls weight over hills. I'd make sure the correct trans is in it too. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device
If I remember right it said Detroit Diesel or something on the front side of the motorhome. The paper work said M-241 work horse. Does that mean anything?

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Updated info
He had the local dealer run the vin number and its the 7.4 liter
25' bumper to bumper.
not sure whether its the Alison transmission or the Gm
How do you guys think this engine would tow compared to my 460 Ford engine in my 27' class C motorhome?

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Its most likely the 4L80E tranny, thats what mine had.

I would say its pretty comparable except I imagine you do not have OD in the Class C which you will have in the Workhorse. I had no issues with my 454 Workhorse chassis. Ran great and pleanty of power. The coach was a POS so I got rid of it

·
YB Managing Editor
51,136 Posts
Gears on a 4l80e are

1st--2.48
2nd--1.48
3rd--1.00
4th--.75

Now I think the rear gear can be a 3.73 or 4.11

·
YB Managing Editor
51,136 Posts
Load that bitch up and run I80 through Clearfield and Lock Haven. That'll test it. :smt082
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Believe it or not the hardest part of any trip I make is the first 8 miles. I live in a small one traffic light town at the bottom of what must be every mountain in Pa. The towns speed limit is 25mph and when you are all loaded up and hit these hills at that speed it kills you. I swear this town has 15 cops doing speed checks with state police back-up.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
ya no way to build momentum, that kills you

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Add a Gearvenders Over/Under drive. Will make it TONS better. Had a buddy that had one on a 454 motorhome and the additional gear ratios were the cats ass on both pulling from a stop and highway cruising.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well instead of modifying the 460 engine I ended up buying a 25' class A motorhome with 37000 miles with a 454 (7.4) vortec engine. WOW what a difference in power. I didn't tow with it yet but on my test drive I slowed down to 15mph on the hill that my old one struggled with and before you know it I was doing 65mph. The previous owner raced in the All harly division so he was a racer also.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Well instead of modifying the 460 engine I ended up buying a 25' class A motorhome with 37000 miles with a 454 (7.4) vortec engine. WOW what a difference in power. I didn't tow with it yet but on my test drive I slowed down to 15mph on the hill that my old one struggled with and before you know it I was doing 65mph. The previous owner raced in the All harly division so he was a racer also.

My buddy has a 98 26' MH with a vortec 454, it pulls his loaded 10'000# 24' trailer no problem at all.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts