Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4.350 bore chevy 10.2 iron block. alcohol motor, no cooling system, not yet filled. Ejected a Groden aluminum rod and cracked a cylinder. Other than a sleeve what options do I have being it runs no water and will get filled? no budget for a real block and this one should handle what I am putting to it for a long time.

also any help with a good machine shop to do a sleeve if needed in se mich/nw ohio, anyone familiar with ridge machine in Maumee ohio?

·
T/S 368E
29,173 Posts

Good luck, that's a lot of bore to be sinking money & effort into.
I'm on my 3rd 427 block, haven't used it yet, but the 1st 2 worked perfectly up to 4.355.
I was over 1000 HP on a short fill, if you absolutely can't afford a better block, and have that power or more,
fill the bitch up and race!!!

Good luck.

Reactions: BBF612

·
T/S 368E
29,173 Posts

Nice, just fix it and go. Did you count the hits on those rods???
What was the failure??

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hand full of dyno runs, tore down for inspection rebuilt and broke warming in the driveway 20 minutes or so on the rods. I bought it used built by someone else. Looking at the bearings the cap come loose bearing folded and pushed piston into the head and splintered the rod at the small end.

·
T/S 368E
29,173 Posts

OOOOPS.

Again, good luck, race safe!!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I wouldn't run the older blocks like that....not anymore. Quality aftermarket blocks these days are reasonably priced, are stronger, and have more "meat" in critical areas.....but that's just me

·
NITROUS OUTLET FTW
6,289 Posts

Good luck, that's a lot of bore to be sinking money & effort into.
I'm on my 3rd 427 block, haven't used it yet, but the 1st 2 worked perfectly up to 4.355.
I was over 1000 HP on a short fill, if you absolutely can't afford a better block, and have that power or more,
fill the bitch up and race!!!

Good luck.

We ran those blocks truck pulling. Fill ot up and let her eat. We turned them 8 grand with 4.375 crank. We had one sleeved in 3 holes. Alcohol injected.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've seen blocks ruined by to much counter bore under the sleeve causing the main cap web to crack. Properly fitted is definitely the key

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This was a tractor pull engine, blown alcohol. Now just running 300' a hit in the sand. Not worried about it being a factory relic, once filled it should be fine until I can get a proper block and really put some boost to it. Admire all your opinions, thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts