Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son just picked-up a 1993 4.3 V6 to swap into his 1982 T1000. I never owned a 4.3 V6 and do not have any experience with them.

He is going to have the short block rebuilt, but wants to upgrade to a set of later Vortec heads. He wants to run a Comp Cams 270 or 280 HR Cam. It will be backed by a manual, a V8 Camaro T5 if he can find one. He'll be running a Edelbrock carb'd intake and a 500 CFM Edelbrock carb for now. Car has a 4.10 posi rear end.

1. Do the V6 vortec heads have the same valve lift limitations as V8 Vortec heads @ +/- .450" max lift?
2. Are the LS6 valve springs a direct drop in on the stock Vortec heads?
3. Is the 280 Cam too big for a daily driver?

270 HR COMP Cams 18-420-8 Magnum Hyd. Roller Camshaft, Chevy 4.3 V6

280 HR Cam

Possible valve spring Kit if LS6 springs won't work
Valve Spring Kit, SB Chevy VORTEC, HI-Perf Hyd Roller, 130 Lbs Seat Pressure, VSK4H53

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
My son just picked-up a 1993 4.3 V6 to swap into his 1982 T1000. I never owned a 4.3 V6 and do not have any experience with them.

He is going to have the short block rebuilt, but wants to upgrade to a set of later Vortec heads. He wants to run a Comp Cams 270 or 280 HR Cam. It will be backed by a manual, a V8 Camaro T5 if he can find one. He'll be running a Edelbrock carb'd intake and a 500 CFM Edelbrock carb for now. Car has a 4.10 posi rear end.

1. Do the V6 vortec heads have the same valve lift limitations as V8 Vortec heads @ +/- .450" max lift?
2. Are the LS6 valve springs a direct drop in on the stock Vortec heads?
3. Is the 280 Cam too big for a daily driver?

270 HR COMP Cams 18-420-8 Magnum Hyd. Roller Camshaft, Chevy 4.3 V6

280 HR Cam

Possible valve spring Kit if LS6 springs won't work
Valve Spring Kit, SB Chevy VORTEC, HI-Perf Hyd Roller, 130 Lbs Seat Pressure, VSK4H53

Thanks in advance View attachment 116065
Cool car! But good lord, I don’t know how you put up with that fart can!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm no help but clean looking car tell him good luck with the swap!!
Thank you
Cool car! But good lord, I don’t know how you put up with that fart can!!
It's not too loud, has a glass pack in front of the rear muffler, plus, it's just a 70 horsepower engine... and I'm not the one that has to drive it.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
I have been told they have the same spring limits and need the same work as a v8 head. there is a video on a cam swap and rebuild of one out there. holder did a bunch of stuff to 1 or 2.

Reactions: wesmigletz

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been told they have the same spring limits and need the same work as a v8 head. there is a video on a cam swap and rebuild of one out there. holder did a bunch of stuff to 1 or 2.
I was watching some of Richard Holdener's videos this evening. The guy does some cool stuff. He likes the 280HR cam over the 270, but my gut tells me to go smaller on the cam.

From searching the web tonight, it seems like the heads will need the same upgrade as the V8 vortecs. I'd like to use LS6 springs if they're a direct drop in. It also looks like he can use a flat top piston from a 350. If he's willing to go automatic, I have a nice 700R4 and 2800 stall FTI converter he can use. I have an ECP radiator for a 57 Chevy that looks like it will fit. I think for accessories he will go with a SWP set-up from a SBC, with a 62-67 Nova low mount alternator kit, or a 69-72 C10 set-up if the alt bracket will bolt to the driver side head and work with a swp. We can test that once he finds a pair of V6 vortec heads, which shouldn't be too hard to come up with, unlike a V8 Camaro T5....

·
Registered
441 Posts
Why use V belts? Is space too tight up front for a serpentine drive?

An S10/Astro serpentine set up will bolt right on to the engine. You'll never have to worry about throwing belts.

Looks like a cool project, have fun with it. Car should move out pretty good.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Killer project! I had an 82 Chevette and man I miss that car. So fun to drive. FWIW if the 4.3 heads use the same self aligning rockers then I highly recommend having guide plates and screw in studs installed. I did that on my vortecs and run a regular rocker arm. I also milled the guide bosses milled and I'm running a .530 lift cam. If I can find my cutter then you are welcome to use it on your heads. It's used with a drill and has an alignment rod to center the cutter. Got it from Eastwoods.

·
Western North Carolina
20,904 Posts
Those vortec heads will also need a vortec specific intake.And the valve train is non adjustable.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why use V belts? Is space too tight up front for a serpentine drive?

An S10/Astro serpentine set up will bolt right on to the engine. You'll never have to worry about throwing belts.

Looks like a cool project, have fun with it. Car should move out pretty good.
The SWP and V belts allow more front clearance, so he doesn't need to modify firewall

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Killer project! I had an 82 Chevette and man I miss that car. So fun to drive. FWIW if the 4.3 heads use the same self aligning rockers then I highly recommend having guide plates and screw in studs installed. I did that on my vortecs and run a regular rocker arm. I also milled the guide bosses milled and I'm running a .530 lift cam. If I can find my cutter then you are welcome to use it on your heads. It's used with a drill and has an alignment rod to center the cutter. Got it from Eastwoods.
Thanks for the offer, I have a tool from comp cams for the guides, and another to drill the push rod holes for the 1.6 rockers. We'll probably have the machine shop convert to screw in studs and guide plates.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like a cool swap. I have been wanting to do a chevette v8 swap.
It should make for a nice driver. He was contemplating a later GM turbo 4 swap, but the cost lead him to the 4.3. I daily drove a 19890 Monza Notchback, 4 cyl 4spd for years, but always wanted a vega or chevette. I may pick one up with the goal of trying to build one with a goal of high MPG vs performance to be my daily. Would like to get 35+. I think it was PHR that got 30 mpg out of a Monte Carlo in the late 80s/early 90s, so 35 mpg ought to be doable now adays.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Sounds like a fun little street car when he's done. Glad he'll have a clutch pedal :)

Reactions: wesmigletz

·
I.Y.H.R.F.24.7.365
11,341 Posts
I was watching some of Richard Holdener's videos this evening. The guy does some cool stuff. He likes the 280HR cam over the 270, but my gut tells me to go smaller on the cam.

From searching the web tonight, it seems like the heads will need the same upgrade as the V8 vortecs. I'd like to use LS6 springs if they're a direct drop in. It also looks like he can use a flat top piston from a 350. If he's willing to go automatic, I have a nice 700R4 and 2800 stall FTI converter he can use. I have an ECP radiator for a 57 Chevy that looks like it will fit. I think for accessories he will go with a SWP set-up from a SBC, with a 62-67 Nova low mount alternator kit, or a 69-72 C10 set-up if the alt bracket will bolt to the driver side head and work with a swp. We can test that once he finds a pair of V6 vortec heads, which shouldn't be too hard to come up with, unlike a V8 Camaro T5....
The beehive springs ls6-9 )need the smaller retainers, but otherwise a drop in. he might have to open up the push rod holes in the heads , I did, but mine was a vortec v8 with 1.6 ratio rockers. easier to open up the holes while the heads are off, than find out later you need to do some grinding.
Not sure if the 4th gen t5 that was behind the 3800v6's in those cars will bolt up to the chevy v6(dual pattern bell housing)
I's think the f body forums would now for sure .

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The beehive springs ls6-9 )need the smaller retainers, but otherwise a drop in. he might have to open up the push rod holes in the heads , I did, but mine was a vortec v8 with 1.6 ratio rockers. easier to open up the holes while the heads are off, than find out later you need to do some grinding.
Not sure if the 4th gen t5 that was behind the 3800v6's in those cars will bolt up to the chevy v6(dual pattern bell housing)
I's think the f body forums would now for sure .
Thanks for the information. He picked up a set of 1997 V6 Vortec heads out of Denton today. They look pretty clean off a 120,000 engine. he's going to pull the heads off his 93 short block today. If the cross hatch looks good, we may just bolt the heads on and try to fire it up as is with a carb intake.

We're still looking for a V8 T5, I have and 82-83 f-body 4 spd bell housing to straighten the shifter. If he can't find a T5, I may let him use one of my MY6/A833 4 spd OD transmissions; they're out of early-mid 80s trucks, and the gearing is the same as a 700R4, same length as a M20/M21 or TH350 short tail. Uses a TH350 yolk.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm also no help but thats a cool car.
A buddy has one with a 400" smal block Mopar. It's one of the most reckless, unsafe, fastest, and coolest cars I have been a part of. Runs in the 5's in the 8th.

Good luck with the swap
That's an odd combo, sounds like it moves out pretty good.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This should be a fun car. Keep us updated on the swap. I had two Chevettes in high school. I would like to do a V8 swap one day.
It should be wrapped up in the next month or two depending how far he has to get into the engine. I'll post updates

1 - 20 of 21 Posts