Yellow Bullet Forums banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
just read back in the thread you've got a preped steel crank 👍 , was wondering cause I rebuild a 67 malibu 283 with a cast crank , only one I'd seen

·
Long Live The King
100,198 Posts
That’s the Isky Master Catalog. Lots of good info on their lobe selections.
You (or others if they can’t open it) can go to the Isky website and look for Downloads. “Isky Cam Lobe Master Chart”

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
i think i will be ordering the cam through bullet when it comes time, as far as break in i was thinking of buying specific break in springs. when i pu tit together it will have moly lube on the cam lobes and lifter faces, im thinking of also using the direct lube style of lifter.
the crank is a race prepped factory forged unit, the block is a 1967 casting.

im still stuck hunting for heads, balancing how bad i want to build this thing over how much money i want to spend, shit got real expencive once the CAD dropped.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
just read back in the thread you've got a preped steel crank 👍 , was wondering cause I rebuild a 67 malibu 283 with a cast crank , only one I'd seen
it was cast to? ya when i ripped apart the 67 block i had it was cast, i was surprised i always hear there were no cast 283 cranks but i guess in 67 all the low power cars got them.

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
i think i will be ordering the cam through bullet when it comes time, as far as break in i was thinking of buying specific break in springs. when i pu tit together it will have moly lube on the cam lobes and lifter faces, im thinking of also using the direct lube style of lifter.
the crank is a race prepped factory forged unit, the block is a 1967 casting.

im still stuck hunting for heads, balancing how bad i want to build this thing over how much money i want to spend, shit got real expencive once the CAD dropped.
All good choices. Unless you have another go to guy at Bullet, ask for Chris Paget

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
ya when i talked to my local guy thats who he said he deal with when building the race motors he does, he has the master cam list for them so im sure he has somebody he deals with.
but if i do end up dealing with them personally i will ask for him.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Kirk Milner is not too shabby either. Willing to take the time to get the correct info. Good ole southern drawl. Used to work for Harold Brokeshire and others that had the knack for a good combination.

·
Registered
22 Posts
on your block
instead of bushing the lifter bores punch them to .904, use magnum lifters
I see that camcraft and others have profiles for the big lifters that will work with the smaller than mopar or bbc base circle
try mike jones
long rod- get that piston weight down
that said if you are using
'not a 283" aftrmarket heads might as well stick a 350 block in it
we built a bunch of 4x4 sbc with moldex cranks with stock chevy heads that's all there was
but today with inexpensive cranks ... jealous
no class rules & on the street- go big

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
i asked my machinist about the .904 lifter, and by the time i pay to have to have the lifter bores opened up i may as well have bought a solid roller instead, i will be using a 6" rod just have to decide which ones
i am on purpose using a 283 block other wise i would be building a 355, i havent completely decided on really drag racing it since we dont have a track less than 2hrs drive away, but if i do i want it to run slow enough i don't need to worry about a cage which is why i would be using the smaller motor

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I’ve been enjoying your thread. I’ve stroked a couple 283s and SJ 327s, but never built any 301s. I’m working on a 1957 # 548 283 for my 57 Vette now. I’m going to go with a 4.00” bore and pro-gram engineering splayed caps. I have an old 3 1/2” stroke SJ crank I’ll be using. This is going to be a milder build, going to heavily port the stock manifolds and try to build a 2 1/2” exhaust with mandrel bends. I have a very nice set of ported 461x heads that I made 452 horsepower through on my 62’s stroked 327, the build was covered in the OCT 2009 Car Craft.
Crane has an old solid flat tappet cam, on a 114 LS, similar to the 30-30 cam, but with more lift and a lot shorter seat to seat. Should be good for high 12s through a heavily worked factory intake

Sorry for my rambling. Look forward to following your build.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
thats awesome, those older 283s have thick enough wall to be bored to 4" from what i hear, i cant do that on mine hence the 292.

originally this was going to be a mild first build type deal but then i decided i would be unhappy and wanted something to turn high rpms as i always heard about the screaming small blocks, and my local builder who im also getting advice from used to build and race 10000rpm 283s in whatever class he would race.

ya i have looked at howards cams sight and they have modern versions of all those old cams like the 300hp 327 hydraulics and the duntov 3030 just with modern lash and profiles.

i love those old vets, sounds like a nice deal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
thats a good set of factory heads! did a good job on those was it tight fitting the 3.875 crank?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
thats a good set of factory heads! did a good job on those was it tight fitting the 3.875 crank?
The heads were done by Mike Stark at CFM Performance in Indianapolis. He did a hell of a job on them.

It wasn't too bad due to it being a dedicated, light weight stroker crank. It was a lot harder to get the 3 3/4" crank into the 283. The counterweights were turned down a lot (had to do the same on the 3 1/2" crank for my 57's 283).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
ya the factory forged 283 crank i have had the weights cut as well, and knife edged seems like alot of extra work to fit something in an old block but i can see the appeal.

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
I’ve been enjoying your thread. I’ve stroked a couple 283s and SJ 327s, but never built any 301s. I’m working on a 1957 # 548 283 for my 57 Vette now. I’m going to go with a 4.00” bore and pro-gram engineering splayed caps. I have an old 3 1/2” stroke SJ crank I’ll be using. This is going to be a milder build, going to heavily port the stock manifolds and try to build a 2 1/2” exhaust with mandrel bends. I have a very nice set of ported 461x heads that I made 452 horsepower through on my 62’s stroked 327, the build was covered in the OCT 2009 Car Craft.
Crane has an old solid flat tappet cam, on a 114 LS, similar to the 30-30 cam, but with more lift and a lot shorter seat to seat. Should be good for high 12s through a heavily worked factory intake

Sorry for my rambling. Look forward to following your build.
You can bore those early 283 blocks to 4”, but I’d go only 60 or 90 over. It’ll be more dependable. In my opinion. I used to get those 3.965 rings from total seal in 0.043, 0.043, and 3 mm. Might check to see if they still do. If you want to stay nostalgic, I’d find an old 327 small journal block. May have to clean it up to a bit larger, but way better choice for a street car. Or even a drag car. The 4 bolt mains are a good choice. But, it’s your deal, and I ran several 301’s in the day, but don’t do it anymore.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You can bore those early 283 blocks to 4”, but I’d go only 60 or 90 over. It’ll be more dependable. In my opinion. I used to get those 3.965 rings from total seal in 0.043, 0.043, and 3 mm. Might check to see if they still do. If you want to stay nostalgic, I’d find an old 327 small journal block. May have to clean it up to a bit larger, but way better choice for a street car. Or even a drag car. The 4 bolt mains are a good choice. But, it’s your deal, and I ran several 301’s in the day, but don’t do it anymore.
I agree with your assessment about reliability, but I'm using the 548 block because it's my car's original engine, and I don't want to store it. Since my car is just a low-horse base 4 spd car, I'm worried about hurting its value. The block wasn't too rusty, but some of the cylinders will need sleeved. The question I'm asking myself is should I grenade the original 1957 T10 again, or upgrade the trans...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was suggesting the .903 lifters because it looked like your lifter bores might need sleeveing
what rear gear
watch for torque after shift around town with a 283 4speed vetts with a cam it took 4.11s

·
Registered
436 Posts
I also like the 327 for a nostalgia stock hot rod but the blocks aren't around anymore and he's got the 283 . min 4.88 if it's small tire more if it's tubbed . 67 elky what the set-up ? is this a Friday night around town hot-rod ? like that you want to build the small motor , it's a lot of fun doing the David against Goliath between lights

61 - 80 of 89 Posts