Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
LOL, sorry, I was talking about the 307 deal, sorry to hijack your 283 deal. I think what your doing is cool, back in the day the 301/283 was all we heard about before they came out with the 302. :cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
o ya no prob. ya i'm not sure why i want the small cid deal and it sounds stupid when i have a blown 383 in the thing, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Watch you're piston to valve clearance. 283 Stock pistons wouldn't clear at much more than .42 lift. Domed w/ valve cuts may be needed. Didn't see any cam discussed.

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
You all have to understand. At the time I first did these 307 blocks, we were running pounds per cubic inch, and I always favored the small engines. And this one I’m doing for my son-in-law, was in a class where you were only allowed flat top pistons, and 200 cc heads max. And they would surprise ya. The 337 we did was a low, to mid 11 second car at 3,400#’s. With a 4.11 gear, auto, dot street tires, and factory exhaust manifolds, mufflers, dual plane intake only, hydraulic flat tappet, stock rockers, in modified heads, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Watch you're piston to valve clearance. 283 Stock pistons wouldn't clear at much more than .42 lift. Domed w/ valve cuts may be needed. Didn't see any cam discussed.
i was told by my local builder a mech flat tappet we would be looking around 260 @ .050 and .6 lift.

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
i was told by my local builder a mech flat tappet we would be looking around 260 @ .050 and .6 lift.
Always check, always. But chances are if you get pistons off the shell, or get a generic valve depth on a custom piston, you’ll have plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Randy.Did you try cutting deck ht down a bunch on blocks in your small inch stuff? I have set of bme 283 flat tops that are 340 gram area..031 top ring and then oil ring.We are going to put it together soon with some dart or 220 heads that have epoxy work etc.It will be down on comp badly with only 56 cc chambers.

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
Randy.Did you try cutting deck ht down a bunch on blocks in your small inch stuff? I have set of bme 283 flat tops that are 340 gram area..031 top ring and then oil ring.We are going to put it together soon with some dart or 220 heads that have epoxy work etc.It will be down on comp badly with only 56 cc chambers.
The most I cut a deck, was 1982, and we cut a bow tie block down .100, we angle milled every, and any head as much as physically possible every time. I also ran the smallest bore size head gasket design at the time, which was 4.060.

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
Also, even though you’re down on compression, you will learn that with the right cam, and some tuning, it will surprise you with the performance.

·
Long Live The King
100,198 Posts
I have the crank already. Its a prepped factory forged 283 with cut and knife edged counterweights and the end drilled.

I want to spin it up to 8500 which i believe is the max for standard style valvetrain hence the big cam.
Hey Randy,

For a solid flat tappet spinning 8,500 how much cam would you suggest ?

He's thinking 260 @ .050 and .6-- lift

·
Registered
26,500 Posts
Hey Randy,

For a solid flat tappet spinning 8,500 how much cam would you suggest ?

He's thinking 260 @ .050 and .6-- lift
Be sure to break it in properly, and that includes oil that is designed for breaking in flat tappet cams, the cam treatment sent with the cam, direct lube lifters, and, if possible, remove the inner spring, and or use 1.3 to 1 rockers. Make sure they clear the pushrod hole in the head, as they don’t tell you that when you buy them. They don’t clear a lot of heads. Also, and I’ve caught shit for this, but I run 2 extra quarts of oil in a sbc during break in, then after, drain it. Never hurt anything of mine at 2,500 during break in.

·
Registered
436 Posts
o ya no prob. ya i'm not sure why i want the small cid deal and it sounds stupid when i have a blown 383 in the thing, but it is what it is.
I get it and the 283 won't disappoint if you like gears and aren't afraid of some r's . Are you using the original block and crank ?

41 - 60 of 89 Posts