Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Cheetah shifter, man this thing is sweet!
Just playing with it on the bench top, I thought that it would have detent stops at each gear. It just slides between gears with no resistance or stops. I guess when I hook up the cable to the trans, it will have positive stops at each gear.
Is that correct?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Once you hook the cable to the tranny it will have the light detent (on the shift comb inside the tranny) but the "positive stop" between gear positions is in the Gate of the shifter itself.

In a 3 spd Turbo Action shifter the shift lever should move straight from 1-2 and hit the "2nd gear" gate stop.

Once in the "2nd gear" position the shift lever should automatically spring over (it has a spring bias) to one side so that the shift lever can again move straight from 2-3 and hit the "3rd gear" gate stop.

From the "3rd gear" position, you will then have to manually pull the shift lever to the other side (overcome the spring bias) in-order to move the shift lever into the "Neutral" position.

From the Neutral Position you will have to pull up on the shift lever's handle to disengage the "reverse lock out" and move the shift lever straight into the "Reverse" position.

From the "Reverse" position you will once again have to physically move the shift lever to the side (agains tthe spring bias) in-order to move the shift lever into the "Park" position.

I have used a number of different shifters in my life but now use a Turbo Action Cheetah shifter with a 1990's era Automotive Engineering air shift pod in my Real Street car and I absolutely love it. The T/A Cheetah's are very versitile and very easy to change over to different trannys.... T/A's support is easy to deal with and they get you the parts you need without hassel. Heck next year when I convert to a Glide I intend to just change the gate to a 2pd one and keep the shifter.
Will

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Will, I hope to hook it up to the trans today.
Just playing with it, when I go from reverse to neutral it does not have a positive stop at neutral, just slides pass neutral to first and even to second.
Doesn't lock in first either. But from first to second it has the gate to stop it and springs itself over for third. Then third is straight down.
Once I hook it up to the trans, I'll see better.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I hated mine as you'll notice that it's sloppy between neutral and 1st. Mine was a reverse gear setup on a Rossler t-400 in my super stocker. I hope u have an air shift, as it's easy to go from 1st to 3rd with that shifter if manually shifting. My old school z gate shifter had hard detent stops between gears in my old bracket car.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hated mine as you'll notice that it's sloppy between neutral and 1st. Mine was a reverse gear setup on a Rossler t-400 in my super stocker. I hope u have an air shift, as it's easy to go from 1st to 3rd with that shifter if manually shifting. My old school z gate shifter had hard detent stops between gears in my old bracket car.
Got it hook up last nite.
Really don't like the neutral to first gear shift.
The shifter comb in the trans is the only stop for first.
I'm going to mod the gate for first gear.
Other than that, no problems. Smooth shifts and easy for the wife to operate.
Beats the Hell out of my Hurst Pistol Grip Quarter Stick.
Yeah, air shifter in the near future.
Going to the track tonite to test it out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts