Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Former RJ instigator
39,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by goodscotch's comment in the canned chili thread I decided to try my hand at making some authentic chili gravy for my cheese and onion enchiladas, I think I nailed it, my wife ate 4 and she don't like Mexican food. :rolleyes:

Here's the recipe I used for the chili gravy.

1/4 pound hamburger meat

1 small white onion, 1/2 diced, 1/2 minced

3 TBS oil

3 TBS flour

2 TBS chili powder

1 ts cumin

1 ts black pepper

1 ts salt

1/2 ts garlic powder

1/2 ts rubbed Mexican oregano

Brown the ground beef and minced onion over medium high heat, drain and set aside.
Add oil/flour to pan and make a rue, brown slightly, add remaining dry ingredients and slowly add beef broth and stir well, reduce heat and simmer about 10-15 mins until desired thickness. Yields 2 cups.

Next time I'll probably use reduced sodium beef broth or reduce salt by half but other than that it was perfect, not bad for my first effort, I guess you can teach a old dog new tricks. :cool:

Here's a pic of the finished product, yum yum.

·
Former RJ instigator
39,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those look real good. Did you chili the tortillas before you rolled them?
Thanks and no I just softened them in some hot oil and rolled them bad boys up, my wife did bitch about all the onions I put in them, next time half no onions.....:cool:

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,374 Posts
Inspired by goodscotch's comment in the canned chili thread I decided to try my hand at making some authentic chili gravy for my cheese and onion enchiladas, I think I nailed it, my wife ate 4 and she don't like Mexican food. :rolleyes:

1/4 pound hamburger meat

3 TBS oil

3 TBS flour

2 TBS chili powder

1 ts cumin

1 ts black pepper

1 ts salt

1/2 ts garlic powder

Brown the ground beef and minced onion over medium high heat, drain and set aside.
Add oil/flour to pan and make a rue, brown slightly, add remaining dry ingredients and slowly add beef broth and stir well, reduce heat and simmer about 10-15 mins until desired thickness. Yields 2 cups.

Next time I'll probably use reduced sodium beef broth or reduce salt by half but other than that it was perfect, not bad for my first effort, I guess you can teach a old dog new tricks. :cool:

That looks great! I normally use this.

Will be trying your recipe!

·
Registered
15,628 Posts

1/4 pound hamburger meat

3 TBS oil

3 TBS flour

2 TBS chili powder

1 ts cumin

1 ts black pepper

1 ts salt

1/2 ts garlic powder

This feels like Daja a Vu all over again.

Denny

·
Former RJ instigator
39,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks great! I normally use this.

Will be trying your recipe!
I used enough of Old El~Paso's stuff to float a battleship, but I always use their hot variety, it's hard to beat and very good for a canned sauce, I just wanted a more authentic chili gravy verses a straight up red chile enchilada sauce, give mine a try, it's damn good.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Thanks and no I just softened them in some hot oil and rolled them bad boys up, my wife did bitch about all the onions I put in them, next time half no onions.....:cool:
It's a pita and messy to chili them but I've found it makes a big difference in taste. Also I saute my onions, put them in with the cheese and put sliced black olives on the top. I like olives. It's supposed to rain this weekend so I'll probably be stuck inside and I can't think of a better way to kill some time but making up a batch of enchiladas. I cheat on the beans though. I use a can of Rosaritas but I sautee some chorizo first, put the beans in and add an egg just before they are done. The egg makes them creamier and the chorizo gives them a little kick.

·
Registered
15,628 Posts
It's a pita and messy to chili them but I've found it makes a big difference in taste. Also I saute my onions, put them in with the cheese and put sliced black olives on the top. I like olives. It's supposed to rain this weekend so I'll probably be stuck inside and I can't think of a better way to kill some time but making up a batch of enchiladas. I cheat on the beans though. I use a can of Rosaritas but I sautee some chorizo first, put the beans in and add an egg just before they are done. The egg makes them creamier and the chorizo gives them a little kick.
For me heating the Corn Tortillas in a little butter and then a light coating of Chili does make quite a difference. Last night was get rid of the leftover night and I didn't bother to do the sauté in butter, instead I just warmed the Chili and coated the Tortillas, added Cheese and they cracked on me when I tried to roll them.

Good Beans are just so easy to make. Quarter dice 1/4th thick a 1/2lb smoked sausage and brown it some. Set aside. Take about a 1/4 lb of Bacon and 50% render the fat out of them. Pour off the grease and add 1 chopped Onion, some celery seed, and a Jalapeno, sauté till the Onion is clear. Add a couple to three cans of beans (with liquid), Garlic powder, a bunch of chopped Cilantro, a pinch of salt, Chicken Broth concentrate, adjust your liquid, and just put the lid on using low heat. Every hour or so check/stir and in the final hour add the sausage back in. Do a final check on liquid and spice just prior to serving. The next day make refried. Melt some butter in a pan, heat the beans and run them through a bender and then back into the pan to get the right consistency. Makes the best bean dip in the world and lasts for a couple of weeks.

Denny

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Sounds like a challenge. I brown the chorizo and don't drain the fat. It adds to the flavor and a spiceyness of the beans. I'm done in 15 minutes. Serve alongside the enchiladas and pig out. I'm going to try something a little different and add some red and yellow bell pepper to the onions. We will see. Pictures to follow.

·
Registered
15,628 Posts
Sounds like a challenge. I brown the chorizo and don't drain the fat. It adds to the flavor and a spiceyness of the beans. I'm done in 15 minutes. Serve alongside the enchiladas and pig out. I'm going to try something a little different and add some red and yellow bell pepper to the onions. We will see. Pictures to follow.
Ya know, for whatever reason, I have never warmed up to Chorizo. Think what you get in Southern Ca my be different than what we get in red neck Texas. Last summer when I was in the land of the sun tanned chosen, had some Chorizo as a breakfast side that was great. It was almost like beef jerky. Tried to duplicate it, and failed miserably.

Denny

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Ya know, for whatever reason, I have never warmed up to Chorizo. Think what you get in Southern Ca my be different than what we get in red neck Texas. Last summer when I was in the land of the sun tanned chosen, had some Chorizo as a breakfast side that was great. It was almost like beef jerky. Tried to duplicate it, and failed miserably.

Denny
Its too dense and the texture of it seems to be my biggest drawback to it...........I've never had anything other than the us store bought stuff though.

Wouldn't mind trying some that was more artisan made from the region.

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,374 Posts
I used enough of Old El~Paso's stuff to float a battleship, but I always use their hot variety, it's hard to beat and very good for a canned sauce, I just wanted a more authentic chili gravy verses a straight up red chile enchilada sauce, give mine a try, it's damn good.
I'm gonna try it this weekend! Might do some chicken, pork, or beef instead of cheese.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

Denny
Must be an acquired taste. Kind of like scotch? I've had chorizo all over Mexico and all over SoCal. One of my favorites is a chorizo and egg burrito with extra cheese.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I did the enchiladas last night. As I said, it's a pita to chili the tortillas. I ruined 4 of them. But they turned out very good. I added bell peppers to the onions and a sprinkle of cumin and a sprinkle of oregano. I'll add more next time. I didn't have any olives so I put onios on the top.

·
Registered
15,628 Posts
I did the enchiladas last night. As I said, it's a pita to chili the tortillas. I ruined 4 of them. But they turned out very good. I added bell peppers to the onions and a sprinkle of cumin and a sprinkle of oregano. I'll add more next time. I didn't have any olives so I put onios on the top.

There ya go! Try warming the Tortillas in either oil or butter first and see if they roll better. Watch the street venders make Mexican Street food and all of them throw them on a hot plate with probably lard first before they make soft Taco's.

Actually forgot they were in the fridge but we had some left over that my wife put into a container. I microwaved them for lunch yesterday and I think I like the baked better. The Corn Tortillas has more of a chance to absorb the Chili and I liked the flavor better. Next time I will probably bake them, but it is an every 2-3 year dish for me. So........I'll probably forget.

Denny

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I did the hot oil first and then into the sauce but I must have been a little slow cause some of them came out of the sauce in pieces. It also make a hell of a mess on the stove. I've got leftovers for 2 lunches.

·
Registered
15,628 Posts
I did the hot oil first and then into the sauce but I must have been a little slow cause some of them came out of the sauce in pieces. It also make a hell of a mess on the stove. I've got leftovers for 2 lunches.

The downside to making them. Stuff gets all over your hands and then all over everything else as you need to wash your hands after each one or it's even more of a mess. The only thing I've found that helps some keeping the mess down is create an assembly line with the plates touching each other. If it drips, it drips on one of the plates and not on the stove nor counter. Also do it right next to the sink with a towel handy. Good, but messy.

Denny

1 - 20 of 21 Posts