Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm checking my installed height and have a few questions.
When assembled oringinally they were 1.850. When I measure them I get 1.810, I can see that the keepers aren't fully seated. If I check with one keeper its right on. I can see a difference between a seated one and the one I am checking. Whats the trick?
Thanks Rick

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
I'm checking my installed height and have a few questions.
When assembled oringinally they were 1.850. When I measure them I get 1.810, I can see that the keepers aren't fully seated. If I check with one keeper its right on. I can see a difference between a seated one and the one I am checking. Whats the trick?
Thanks Rick
If you are using a height mike you need to screw it down tighter or tap the end of the valvestem with a brass hammer or drift. to seat the keepers. Notice I said TAP. not pound.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
you tap it with a little piece of metal or even a handle of a screwdriver

you do not have the threadded tubular gage threadded ALL the way up tight..
you can easily hold the retainer UP with your fingers and tap it with your other hand.

and then you thread up the tubular mic measurement tool

or you use the height test checker that BHJ uses that is based on a actual dial caliper....

you use the same retainer and locks that you tested height with ..ON THE EXACT SAME VALVE..
so, line them all up next to the head and check each one individually...

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
if the split locks are THAT WORN or the retainers have a groove seat in them

or if the groove in the valve stem is worn and sticks..then obviously you have to spend some money and buy NEW PARTS....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts