Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned...Four Times
40,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good sized dog that is very active and has fairly long hair. I assumed, incorrectly, that he ran around enough to keep his nails down, with his longer hair they didn't appear to be overly long. He got a nail hung up going up the stairs and broke it off right at the toe. After taking him to the vet and spending a ridiculous sum of money to get him fied up he i doing much better, thankfully. The money doesn't bother me but my own inattentiveness that caused the problem does. I will surely be checking him more often now. Don't assume that your dogs nails are being worn enough to cut down on issues check them and if needed get them trimmed. Just a word of advice from a regretful owner, I shouldn't have assumed.

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
Every three weeks or so.....We use a cordless Dremel with a sandpaper roll.
That sounds pretty humane!...
My dog goes in about every 5wks. or so for the pamper treatment!...
They just snip his nails with some kind of a cigar cutter (that's what it looks like anyways) and sometimes they bleed!...

You must NOT have hardwood floors, Donnie!... :smt102

·
Banned...Four Times
40,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds pretty humane!...
My dog goes in about every 5wks. or so for the pamper treatment!...
They just snip his nails with some kind of a cigar cutter (that's what it looks like anyways) and sometimes they bleed!...

You must NOT have hardwood floors, Donnie!... :smt102
Some, the stairs are hardwood.

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
My chihuahua;s toenails wear normally in the back legs. The fronts get pretty damn long. Trouble is, it takes three grown adults to trim them. The first (and last) time we took her to the groomers was a disaster! Scared the shyt out of everyone there, including some pretty big dogs.

Now we do it at home. She is overdue because she gets her nails caught in throw rugs. NOT looking forward to it.

·
pig hunter
9,424 Posts
the dremel works and the vet has something just like it in the back. hers had a diamond drum cutter on it..

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Keeping my brother's dog while he is in Afghanistan.... The little fucker eats his own toe nails, and his shit for that matter.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Same here, about a month ago I took the dog for a ride with me in the tri-axle work truck, and the impatient clown didn't wait for me to take him down. He jumped out right behind me, and his 2 middle nails on his right front paw got caught in the corrogated metal step ! Ripped both nails right out of his toe. Went to the vet and they said cause the hard shell was totally ripped out, they had to cut the " quick" tissue back to the egde of his toe ! Felt soooo fuckin bad for him ! He's ok now, just missin his nails ! That's the last ride in the dump truck for him !

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I try try to get my girls in the dog washer once a month for bath and trim

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
The hardwood floor reference was because, I could "hear" my dog walkin' on it, so I figured it was time for a trim!... :cool:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts