·
Proud Canadian
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do I find out what the resistance should be for any given solenoid. Thanks

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
1st find out what the ohm resistance should be for the coils your testing. There will be different values depending on the coil being used. All you need is a ohm meter to test it. Put up the p/n and I'm sure on of the gurus can help you. Check the amps also. Are you using 12 or 16 volts?

·
Proud Canadian
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
1st find out what the ohm resistance should be for the coils your testing....Yes that's I need to know???

Ones a nitrous cheater solenoid, the other is a big shot solenoids. I know how a meter works just wondering what it should be. I am using 12 volts...Can you determine resistance by take voltage and divide it by amperage.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,779 Posts
Yes you can. R = V / I. So, take your voltage and divide it by the current and you get your resistance. Now, that will tell you the resistance, but more importantly you measured the amount of current the coil is pulling. I bet you the Big Shot solenoid will draw more power (and thus have a lower resistance) than the Cheater solenoid.

PS: Resistance will change slightly with heat.

·
Proud Canadian
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the manufacture have a list so you can compare.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I measure a bunch of my solenoids. Cheater fuel solenoids were in the 6-7 ohm range, pro shot n20 solenoids were in the 1-1.3 ohm range.

I think if they go bad, it will either read really high resistance or as a closed circuit.

·
Proud Canadian
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I measure a bunch of my solenoids. Cheater fuel solenoids were in the 6-7 ohm range, pro shot n20 solenoids were in the 1-1.3 ohm range.

I think if they go bad, it will either read really high resistance or as a closed circuit.
That's the same results I got..Thanks..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts