Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if the chassis experts can reply??? I'm wanting to replace my ms cage and put in a cm cage . Should I have concern with movement of the chassis/flex when cutting out the old cage. Will things move around??? should it be on a fixture when cutting the existing cage out? Thanks in advance for any replys . R.M.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
The ideal situation would be to put the car up on stands and level it supporting from several key areas and then cut the cage out, do your cleanup and put the new cage in without moving it's position.

Is this a stock body/frame/chassis car, or is it back halved, tube chassis or what?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car has stock front sub tied with 2x3 to orign back unibody / ladder bar with coil overs, with 2x3 cross member for front of ladder bar, Car has 10 point ms cage in it currently. This car has gone from roll bar to 6 point to 8 point to 10 point over the last 40 years. My main concern is if I cut the cage out and things move and then the new cage is installed that it will loose all the pre load and all the chassis adjustments. I can save considerable $$ by cutting the cage out before it goes to the chassis shop to have the cm cage installed. Am I worried about nothing or will everything have to be re set and sorted out.???

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I have cut several cages out and reinstalled them. I just set the car on stands and level it up and cut out the old cage. The bars pop open and squeeze closed as you cut them if you use a saws all so there is plenty of push and pull in the cage. I recheck it for level and install the new cage. I reset the chassis and stuff and let it eat. Not had any issues really. So if you cut it out as long as the chassis shop level it up again it should be ok but you will have to reset the preload.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information and explanation. I may be wasting time and money but my brother that built the car and the wife has expressed the concern of the swing out side bar and the fact that the new cage will be installed by a chassis shop by someone familar with tig, and proper equipment to get the safest possible final result . Again Thanks for the feed back.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
You'll be amazed how much body flex you get once the cage is cut out. Don't expect to be able to keep your current preload. I did what your talking about 3 yrs ago with mine. Just set the frame level on stands (motor/trans out of the car), cut old cage out and went to town on the new one. By the way, hope you have a plasma cutter.....or your in for a chore getting the old cage out! I used a sawzall and 4-1/2" angle grinder with cutoff wheels and it took forever. Most of the stumps of tube that were welded to the floor plates had to be GROUND down because they couldn't be cut off flush. I'd bet I swept a large coffee can full metal shavings out of the car when I was done. Don't forget the dust mask too. lol. Have fun!

·
Registered
920 Posts
after forty years, the car probably isn't very straight anyway. any shop worth it's salt will level the car and string it out as standard procedure. I'd be surprised if they didn't find something crooked when they get it. go ahead and cut it out. no need to level it up unless you want to string it yourself and see how crooked it is and make comparison notes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts