Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what the average chassis life is for a "fast drag car" (example Outlaw 10.5 or even X-275)? How many passes do you think it will take to wear out a chassis? I have heard that for an NHRA Pro Stock team to stay on top of their game, they will usually construct a new chassis every year.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
In a stock suspension small tire deal I dont think you can wear out a well built Chassis itself. Suspension components on the other hand are another story.

Chassis cars are different. The reason PS guys buy new all the time is for other reasons than "wearing them out" so to speak. I know of a lot of "Old" PS cars going quicker and faster now than they ever did in PS trim.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In a stock suspension small tire deal I dont think you can wear out a well built Chassis itself. Suspension components on the other hand are another story.

Chassis cars are different. The reason PS guys buy new all the time is for other reasons than "wearing them out" so to speak. I know of a lot of "Old" PS cars going quicker and faster now than they ever did in PS trim.
Surely you can take a former run NHRA PS trim Jerry Haas chassis car and later throw a twin turbo big block and run faster than what the car did in NHRA PS trim.

·
Registered
924 Posts
ya,when you start seeing cracks around the areas of welds,not the welds but just past them.seen it before.we had a car that worked great but after awhile we noticed 60s falling of and door closure got harder.this was abudies of mine.we were running 7.00s 196mph.we couldnt figure it out one year.we took the whole car apart after we found this.the cracks were in the weardest spots.like tke opposite of the tourqe of the chassis.there were probably 1000 plus hits on this car since new.we beleive the car was built in the late 90s.

·
I kill parts
10,481 Posts
Pro stock is a different animal. Every thousandth counts to those guys, thus any chassis fatigue starts absorbing enough to cost them.

Otherwise, I'd say it comes down to what baldy1 noted.

·
Jarrad S
3,188 Posts
Just curious what the average chassis life is for a "fast drag car" (example Outlaw 10.5 or even X-275)? How many passes do you think it will take to wear out a chassis? I have heard that for an NHRA Pro Stock team to stay on top of their game, they will usually construct a new chassis every year.
If that is the case, what about KB racing? Aren't their cars from 2008-2009???

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
Does anyone has personal experiences that indicate when it was time for a new chassis?

If you know the cars entire history this is easier to determine. If it is a used chassis ask for copies of the log books or the books themselves. This way you can see the actual history of the car.

After a while if you have replaced all heim joints and other critical suspension parts, the car needs to be stripped and welds with the surroundind areas checked as mentioned before.

If it is a full chassis car often times you can front halve and back halve the car to give it a second life. There are a ton more former PS cars out there than you would think that have been sectioned and living on as sportsman cars. Some in the 20+ year old range.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
If that is the case, what about KB racing? Aren't their cars from 2008-2009???

Certain parts have been cut-off and re-done. WJ is notorious for cutting apart a chassis many times during the course of a year. Outside of the bird house many of them have new pipe on the front and rear from year to year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts