Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Liquor Makes Me Think
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have pointers on setting up a chassis jig? I was thinking 2x3 tube but not sure where i should make the jig frame in relation to the chassis.
Should the main long rails be in line with the wheel flange location? Anyoen have tips or videos, i would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The chassis jigs they have at bodyshop are about 3 foot wide and have attachments to spread out to reach the body, pinch welds etc. So you have access to both sides of the frame rails.

I would think for ease at inner rail width with extensions out possibly at the wheel areas so you have a place to use as a mount if making and mocking up suspension. So my idea is 2 rails matching frame rails and then cross pieces as needed to support frame hopp lower door bars and so on. If you can find a cross piece the same as the track height slide itnundsr and tack it to the main jig and rails as you ride height setup.

·
The Liquor Makes Me Think
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fabricator series on YouTube just posted a video as well as the tim mcamis video series on chassis build starts with video about chassis jig
Yup I watched those already. Good info and ideas in them.

I really like this guys design. The threaded rod and uni strut is a good idea and seams to work well.
Im liking his design too. I thought about single side rail and slicing down the center on top and using t slots. But his way will be a lot easier.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Shouldn't the jig be strong enough to prevent distortion during welding? That portable table with channel and all-thread looks super flimsy

·
Registered
299 Posts
May not be ideal if welding 2x3 or larger box material. Just keep everything in check as you go. Very versatile for a typical tube chassis. I like it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Shouldn't the jig be strong enough to prevent distortion during welding? That portable table with channel and all-thread looks super flimsy
Yes, but also no. Ideally it's super strong but many jigs are just something used to ensure your building as straight a frame at an easier height. Round tube seems to be not want to warp as much from welding. The table is to get the best starting point and be able to check the weld distortion is minimal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts