Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
i,d cut it all out truthfully IMO , the upper welds i have seen on a certed cage , the door bars look to have the welds blended and smoothed , that will NOT PASS

·
Registered
802 Posts
im no chassis guy but id cut it out... actually im in the middle of cutting out my old roll bar literally right now, just stopped for dinner lol. i gotta say its just as much work cutting the old bar out and getting the frame all cleaned up as it was to install it but it will be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys i figured as much i hate the look of it all anyways
but at the end of the day is about safety then looks..yep i will cut it all out..

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I also posted a question about the round tube ladder bar cross member on how strong they are.

looking at redoing that to it approx 30'' from frame.

looks like the front crossmember will be inline with the main hoop so i will tie them together if that is correct.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I got no idea what you have now but if you're going to do it all over again I would want a crossmember going from rocker box to rocker box then attach the main hoop to that as well as the down kickers to that cross member where the forward bars connect to the subframe. That would make any type legal crossmember strong enough. I like the LB mounts to be under the crossmember with a triangulated brace going to the frame connectors rather than the mounts that hang off the crossmember that I worry will flex. Just how I do it.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wellsome of tue work was ok and some ..not So good ..

What I have is a back half 2x3 frame rails attached to front sub frame and the front lb cross member looks to be haven't measured 2x2 that he made his own 6 " drop and its ugly ..

The main hoop is attached to the rocker kick outs and the down bars are attached to the LB crossmember. This still a street car So bracing the lb crossmember is difficult being the exhaust run in front of it ..

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if I was to install the round tube cross member and the main hoop attaches to the 2x3 kick out and
The down bar to the crossmember is this strong enough ?? Also can't the down bars be angled forward and back of the main hoop ?
Or do the have the be online ?

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
See the red can in the corner?

I would have to cut the crossmember out and use on your car a 2X3 crossmember straight across then cut it out for a driveshaft hoop. hook the cage to that. Anything more and I would not be able to stop cutting a lot more out.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
See the red can in the corner?

I would have to cut the crossmember out and use on your car a 2X3 crossmember straight across then cut it out for a driveshaft hoop. hook the cage to that. Anything more and I would not be able to stop cutting a lot more out.
haha ya i see it Jeff thats an old pic its not there now

Jeff thats the problem it really all needs to come out but i want to band aid it but still do it right and safe..

new crossmember, cage. thats it

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I would use a crossmember like in this picture. They are formed with the drop and look nice. Trying to go to a round crossmember is going to be tough with all the rest you plan to keep. Install better front LB mounts with more holes too and go to a diagonal link like shown here and drop the pan hard bar.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks real McCoy that helps alot i spent 3 hour yesterday looking for that style crossmember in a nova on the bullet could find shit ..

I think thats what i will do order the 2x3 3'' drop k member and be done with it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts