Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking around and i happen to see that chris alston makes a do it your self tube chassis kit for my body style.

How much work really is it? My brother is a very good fabricator and said he would help. So im wondering what all is involved in it? Do we have to make our own jig? Or what are you guys using as jigs?

I guess its a pre bent kit kinda deal, notch it and fit it yourself stuff. But im just trying to get an idea. Any tips are appreciatted. Thanks

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Not many kits have impressed me. If you'll ever do another, its worth just buying a bender and notcher.

·
TEAM CARB
45,355 Posts
Anything from twin I-beams, to a Sq/Rect tube frame. A full size Jig-table is nice sometimes, too. Look around in the chassis forum for ideas on jig setups.
I also agree on the kits not being as nice as I'D like. There may at the very least, be bars that you'd like to go somewhere else, or fit differently.

·
T/S 368E
32,505 Posts

Buddy built a kit on the floor, came out pretty nice except where he screwed up.
As mentioned, obviously a jig and chassis expert would be best, but there are thousands of kit cars out there running good and running fast!!!
Take your time, do EVERYTHING slowly, don't just start welding, measure, measure, measure length's, angles etc.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
chassis is the easy part..
do you know how many unfinished chassis /back halved cars are out there??

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Does anyone make a cage that is full CNC bent and CNC notched? I have seen a exocet kit car on a forum that had tabs at each notched tube end and a corresponding female hole on the tube for the notch to insert in to. To my knowledge none like that exist for drag cars.

I did a semi-tube back-half and its a bitch, the notching and measuring take forever.

·
Registered
13,339 Posts
And just remember, if you do decide to tackle this project and you make mistakes, it takes longer than you expected and or costs more than you thought you've got to come back on here and start a new thread ripping yourself a new asshole.;):p

·
They call me HateTank
2,836 Posts
I don't think you've thought this through to well yet cause building the Chassis is actually the easy part. Front suspension-rear housing- Mounting the Motor and Trans-Mount the body-Tin-Windows-seat-fuelcell-batteries-etc,etc. Thats the part that kills a build if you don't plan it properly. Just Saying....... There's a reason folks get $45,000 and up for a roller.

·
T/S 368E
32,505 Posts

1 million times agree, that's exactly why when I stepped up from a 10" tire car to a Pro-Mod I bought a used roller.
I learned the hard way about having one built, especially when you don't have the expert knowledge needed.

It's much easier to know what you're getting when you see it run 6.50's, everyone knows the car, and the cert guy is available.
Just make sure what you agreed to is in writing, they take their stuff, you take yours.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
buying a $40k roller is out of the question. i like doing my own stuff, so id rather not pick up where someone else left off.

and trying to find a roller for a 73-87 full size chevy truck on top of that.... no thanks.

my brother and i already built a tube front end and tube back half for it, did the cage, motor plates, fuel cell, custom headers... everything.

the front end, cage, and rear frame is all mild steel, so i was thinking of building a moly chassis, there is definitely weight to be lost, and strength to be gained.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts