Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Friends and business do not work. Everyone always wants the buddy deal. Especially when you are dealing with their hobby. Nobody ever realizes how much time is involved when you are fabing custom stuff generally from scratch. The price is usually long forgotten when the quality is still there. Hopefully the friend will one day realize that. But most don’t.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Fabman, as with everything in life it's a learning experience. Lot's of great advice above. Not much to add other than, when you do good work, it's OK if friends want to be customers or customers want to be friends. It shouldn't change the pricing or services. I have been fortunate to have developed many fantastic relationships helping others. Either way, they should know they are getting honest, quality work for a reasonable price. You can sleep well and they should realize the value proposition they're getting. If/when they don't, then you simply have to say, "I'm not able to help you" and send them down the road. Not uncommon, someone needs to deal with another company to realize the blessing they're getting with your services. I trust it'll all work out.

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
17,070 Posts
This is why I only use one guy for my chassis work. There are hundreds of excellent chassis guys out there but Matt is a very good friend of mine and I am not looking for a homie hookup but rather I know he will do his best job and I will compensate him fairly. Sadly too many people do not understand that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Fabman, as with everything in life it's a learning experience. Lot's of great advice above. Not much to add other than, when you do good work, it's OK if friends want to be customers or customers want to be friends. It shouldn't change the pricing or services. I have been fortunate to have developed many fantastic relationships helping others. Either way, they should know they are getting honest, quality work for a reasonable price. You can sleep well and they should realize the value proposition they're getting. If/when they don't, then you simply have to say, "I'm not able to help you" and send them down the road. Not uncommon, someone needs to deal with another company to realize the blessing they're getting with your services. I trust it'll all work out.
tblentrprz
Thanks for taking the time to read & reply. As far it working out, lots of damage done. I'll be e-mailing this to him soon. I'll be very surprised if he reads it, let alone respond to it. It'll be very interesting too see what I haven't remembered.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
This is why I only use one guy for my chassis work. There are hundreds of excellent chassis guys out there but Matt is a very good friend of mine and I am not looking for a homie hookup but rather I know he will do his best job and I will compensate him fairly. Sadly too many people do not understand that.
DHR Darren
Thanks for the reply. The thing that I don't get is. After seeing 1st hand the hours spent on his car, he still says,
He got screwed by me charging him double!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
tblentrprz
SORRY WRONG POST

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Friends and business do not work. Everyone always wants the buddy deal. Especially when you are dealing with their hobby. Nobody ever realizes how much time is involved when you are fabing custom stuff generally from scratch. The price is usually long forgotten when the quality is still there. Hopefully the friend will one day realize that. But most don’t.
little art
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately MY mistakes and perhaps demeanor (I get angry at myself when I make mistakes in my work. Then I WORK ANGRY):mad:. Normally that wouldn't be a problem when I'm alone.
But because I had an audience, it effected my friend (the down side to letting my friend "help").

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hi
Like to thank everyone that has replied to this Thread. Your advice, compliments and criticism have been Humbling!
I plan to sending this to owner of the subject Fairlane. After all, there is always two sides to every story.
Time to move on, I have another Fairlane & a Extenedcab-longbed Bronco too Build :oops:

·
Registered
67,917 Posts
👍👍

·
Registered
13,129 Posts
One thing I forgot to add Fabman54. Even though you weren't sure how this was going to end, I think it was awesome that you stuck to it and finished the job, professionally.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
One thing I forgot to add Fabman54. Even though you weren't sure how this was going to end, I think it was awesome that you stuck to it and finished the job, professionally.
markadams
Thanks for saying so. I tried. There is two major things I wasn't able to complete.
1. welding the top strut plates to the shock towers.
2. Drilling the holes for links in the rear sway bar arms.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts