Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, been a member for while. Haven't posted much nor have I responded to ANY post, I just don't think I'm smart enough to. I'm a better listener, at any rate "On with the show"
Been fabricating part time on & off a while. A friend (who longer is) ask me to do some work on his car. He told me what he wanted. I told him to get some estimates and the labor rates. The rates he got were $85-$95.00hr. I told him I would only charge him $65.00hr (friend rate). The estimate he got was in the $2,500.00-$3,500.00 range.
He wanted (as best I can recall)
1. frame connectors
2. leaf springs relocated (Crites kit)
3. Caltracs installed
What all he wanted in the beginning is a moot point. (you can see where this is going right?) Also he provided all his own parts, some of the consumables and all of the argon.

MY MISTAKES
I DID NOT KEEP A ACCURATE LOG ON THE HRS SPENT ON THE CAR.
2. I DID NOT GET A DEPOSIT. (I DID GET SOME MONEY ABOUT MIDWAY IN THE PROJECT) I UNDERESTIMATED HRS SPENT BEFORE THE CAR GOT IN THE SHOP & HOW MUCH TIME WAS LEFT IN THE CAR (ADD ON NIGHTMARE)
3. LETTING MY FRIEND HELP, ADD STUFF & OTHERWISE HAVE FULL ACCESS TO THE SHOP.

WHAT I DID IN THE REAR & MIDDLE
I
RELOCATED THE LEAF SPRINGS & HAD TO GET NEW BUSHINGS MADE FOR THE OFFSET HANGERS (ADD ON)-THEY WERE JUNK!
NEXT I FABRICATED FRAME CONNECTORS, DRIVESHAFT LOOP AND NEW TRANS CROSS MEMBER. MY FRIEND DID NOT WANT TO GO THUR THE FLOOR WITH THE CONNECTORS, THAT CAUSED LOTS OF CALCULATING TO FIGURE ALL THE COMPLICATED BENDS (ADD ON). THEN I HAD TO REPAIR THE BOTTOM OF THE REAR TORQUE BOXES (ADD ON). I NEXT CLEANED CUT & GROUND OFF ALL THE OLD BRACKETS OF A BIG 9 INCH HOUSING. NARROWED IT & WELDED ALL THE NEW BRACKETS ON. (ADD ON)
NEXT I INSTALLED A REAR ANTI-ROLL BAR (ADD ON) HE WAS ORIGINALLY GOING WITH THE STOCK REAR WITH CROWN-VICK DISKS.

WHAT I DID IN THE FRONT
HIS CHOICE TO USE STRUTS FROM A 2000 MUSTANG CAUSE MUCH GRIEF, CUSSING AND ARGUMENTS.
(REMINDS ME- HIS MONEY &TIME). SO BECAUSE HE DIDN'T WANT TO USE CAMBER/CASTER PLATES, LIKE THE MUSTANGS USE. I HAD TO HAVE PLATES MACHINED & WELD THE BEARING CUPS TO THE PLATES, THEN WELD THE PLATES TO THE SHOCK- TOWERS. (ADD ON). I THEN HAD TO FAB A REMOVABLE CROSS MEMBER FOR THE RACK & PINION (TO EASE OIL PAN REMOVAL). MUCH TIME SPENT ENGINEERING THAT. I THEN HAD TO REMOVE THE FACTORY MOUNTS & BRACKETS BECAUSE THE RACK SPLINE SHAFT WOULD NOT CLEAR. (ADD ON). AFTER THAT I HAD TO FAB NEW ENGINE MOUNTS & FRAME BRACKETS.(ADD ON). THEN I HAD TO MODIFY THE COLUMN, CUT D-SHAFTS ETC... (THIST'S A WASH BECAUSE WHAT EVER SUSPENSION WE USED THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN NECESSARY ). NOW WE GET TO THE LOWER SUSPENSION. I HAD TO CUT THE STOCK BALL JOINT CUP OFF THE LOWER A-ARM. CUT THE BALL JOINT CUP OFF THE MUSTANG A-ARM. THEN WELD IT TO THE FAIRLANE A-ARM. THEN BOX THE A-ARM (MAJOR ADD ON). SO THE CORRECT BALL JOINT WOULD FIT THE MUSTANG SPINDLE. (SUGGESTED HE BUY A TUBULAR LOWER ARM (CHEAPER) NO! (HIS MONEY HIS TIME) OK! NEXT I HAD TO WELD REINFORCEMENT PLATES WHERE THE LOWER STRUT MOUNTS TO THE FRONT FRAME. THEN THERE WAS THE BUMP-STEER NIGHTMARE. NO KIT HAD A LONG ENOUGH ADJUSTMENT. (SUGGESTED WE DRILL THE SPINDLE FOR THE 5/8 BOLT). NO! SO I TOOK A SAMPLE TO THE MACHINIST, BUT HE MESSED THEM UP. NOW THE MACHINIST I KNOW & HE DOESN'T CHARGE FULL SHOP TIME. HE BOUGHT THE MATERIAL & I PAID HIM $100.00, BUT STILL OWED HIM FOR THE MATERIAL. THE GUY TRY TO GET IT DONE SOMEWHERE ELSE, (TOO DARN EXPENSIVE) THE SPINDLES GOT DRILLED. I ALSO DID A STAINLESS EXHAUST HEADER TO TAILPIPE (BACK PURGED). I ALSO HAD TO MODIFLY #5 HEADER TUBE TO CLEAR THE STEERING SHAFT, (SUGESTED BUY MUSTANG SHORTY HEADERS (N0!) SO TURN A CHEAP HEADER INTO A $350.00 HEADER?????
SO OUT OF SPACE ALSO BE MINDFUL THIS IS ALL TIG WELDED.
SO THE $64,000 QUESTION HOW MUCH IS FAIR? HOW MANY HOURS? BE BRUTAL I DESERVE IT I KNOW YOU NEED PICS, I'LL DO MY BEST TO LOAD THEM IN SEQUENCE. BUT KNOW I'LL GET FRUSTRATED AND JUST LOAD RANDOMLY. SORRY!! I'll LOAD AS QUICKLY AS I CAN
SO BE CANDID BUT FAIR TO ME

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry I'm no expert. I'll try to do better.
some are at a different angle no flash
my apologies

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I don't see how you expect anyone on here to estimate what the bill should be..You are the only one who can guesstimate how many hours are in it at 65.00/hr.

Since he is no longer your friend charge him what you want to.....We'll deal with the thread where he comes on here and bitches about it later lol.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't see how you expect anyone on here to estimate what the bill should be..You are the only one who can guesstimate how many hours are in it at 65.00/hr.

Since he is no longer your friend charge him what you want to.....We'll deal with the thread where he comes on here and bitches about it later lol.
str8liner
Thanks I realize that it would be difficult for anyone give an accurate guesstimate. My hope is that, some of the members might care to offer an opinion. With all the vast knowledge on this board. After all, what has anyone to lose?

Thanks again for your time

1 - 20 of 57 Posts