Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is day # 8 on Chantix which means its my quit date. Anyone else used Chantix? Good? Bad? or any other advice??

·
Registered
88 Posts
Today is day # 8 on Chantix which means its my quit date. Anyone else used Chantix? Good? Bad? or any other advice??
My wife was a very heavy smoker for 25 years, she took Chantix at the end of last year and hasn't smoked since. It seemed to be very easy for her to do too, unlike the patch where it was always a roller coaster ride.

·
Senior Frog
10,345 Posts
I tired it....Patches and Chantix......Gum,Hyptno,shock treatments etc etc
Lemme get a smoke , sit down and tell you about my experience
with these fine products.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Co worker took the Chantix and quit smoking, but as soon as the pills were gone, went right back to smoking and now he smokes worse than before.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It does take the edge off of the withdrawls.You still have the mental and physical aspect's to deal with.All in all worked a helluva lot better than the patch or gum did.
Bottom line you still have to want to quit or it won't work.Good luck.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I just quit cold turkey. 22 years of smoking and 5.5 months without one. Still get the urge every now and then for one, but have not fallen off the wagon.

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
I just quit cold turkey. 22 years of smoking and 5.5 months without one. Still get the urge every now and then for one, but have not fallen off the wagon.
I quit cold turkey 7 yrs ago, I still every once and a while reach for the pocket out of habit. I never fell off the wagon.

Basically, the deal is if you want to quit you will. If your being pressured to quit and you really don't have the will it may be more difficult.

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
I tried it and it does help with the cravings... But the side affects were to much for me to handle. I am normaly real easy going but that chit made me want to take somebodys head off... I didnt give a chit about anything, walked around all pist off.. Wife told me if I wanted to stay living in the house, I better knock that chit off.. She said I was like a jeckle and mr. hide type deal...

·
Registered
13,051 Posts
I used the patch about 6/7 years ago & it worked fine, up until I got a new job & then I started getting all stressed out & started again. I smoked for about 5/6 months & then used the patch again to quit & have not started again.

for me its not the first month or two thats the problem is a year later when I start getting stressed & I want to grab for my pocket looking for them. LOL.

Occationally I have a few @ parties (usually when Ive had a few brews), but after I wake up smelling like an ashtray.................. no thanks.

Bob

·
Registered
478 Posts
Been 4 years without one...you really have to want to do it...otherwise it won't work.
Biggest mistake I made was coming home from a phucked up day and finding a reason to have "just one"...once you have that first one again after quitting...you'll find a million ways to justify having just one more! Good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It does take the edge off of the withdrawls.You still have the mental and physical aspect's to deal with.All in all worked a helluva lot better than the patch or gum did.
Bottom line you still have to want to quit or it won't work.Good luck.
I agree. I took it in December, had my last cigarette on Christmas Eve (after smoking over 35 years). It definately wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done. I still miss it at times, but I will not smoke again because I don't want to have to go through all the shit of trying to quit again. Saving lots of money too! The cravings do subside after a while though. Good luck to you.

By the way, I took it for the full 12 weeks but my doctors wanted me to take it for another 12 week program, your body stores some of the nicotine and it kind of keeps releasing it over time and you do get some cravings (not nearly as strong as in the beginning). Also, I didn't quit right on the actual recommended quit date because I wasn't quite ready but I did quit within the following week.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Chantix worked for me.
I smoked most of my life and quit 1.5 years ago.
Was not able to do it with the patch.

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
Biggest mistake I made was coming home from a phucked up day and finding a reason to have "just one"...once you have that first one again after quitting...you'll find a million ways to justify having just one more!
Thats the best advice/truth given yet.

I had a special friend who was a recovering alcoholic, he didnt take a drink 30 plus yrs. He always stated the he was an alcoholic and only one drink away from being a drunk. ( he never ever took that one drink) ;) he died last year of cancer :(

·
Registered
233 Posts
Chantix, Wellburtrin, Patch, Gum... I've done it all... Nothing worked for me. I agree have to really want it. I'm still on the fence, part of me hates the smell, the taste, the cost... the other part really enjoys a good cigarette with a drink, or my coffee first thing in the morning.

My father quite 18 yrs. ago cold turkey (he smoked 3 packs a day), never picked another one up. He still says that he could smoke a whole pack if given the opportunity. So, I think if you're not ready to quit you'll never lose that urge.

Good Luck and kudos to you for trying.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
If I'm going to quit, I'll need to go to a place like Quitters, Inc. in that Stephen King movie Cat's Eye. If you slip and have a smoke, they abduct your wife/girlfriend and give her electric shocks. Slip up one more time, they cut off her finger.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
i quit almost a year ago with chantix. smoked for over 25 years.

If you want to quit smoking,chantix will work for you.

i was up to 3 packs a day when i quit.

·
RIDIN' DA SHORT BUS
19,968 Posts
I've quit this way many times....made it a few months some times and even went FIVE YEARS one time......coincidently I smoked my last one at nine last night......Have a bad summer cold right now so I figured it's a good time to quit again.......So far so good today, feel like shit so I haven't wanted one.....the shit will start next week when I feel better though........Wish me luck....trying for a permanent quit this time........Hell, I'd be happy with another 5 year smoke free run even..........

1 - 20 of 62 Posts