Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making the change to fiberglass doors. Looking to know the best way to install. I know there are door hinge kits for mustangs, but I have not seen anything for a nova. What's the best way to go about it?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I am thinking about doing the same thing to my Nova that is not a chassis car. I am going to keep up with this thread and see what the smarter people suggest
Steve

·
Registered
1,467 Posts

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Fabricate hinges that bolt to the factory hinge post bolt pattern so you can still adjust the doors. I hate when people weld the hinges as you cannot easily adjust the door and compensate for the door drop from slack in the hinge pins.

It usually takes me roughly 40+ hours to hang a set of doors, fabricate chromoly hinges, install the latch, handle, make new striker pins as well as make templated and fabricate the lexan windows, frames, supports and add aircraft latches.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Why not use the stock hinge with a plate on the inside. Lighten as much as possible, but that would be quickest easiest way.

·
T/S 368E
28,386 Posts

I use the stock hinges on my no-box car which is a stock Camaro style body.
Pull the cotter pin, clean the heck out of the pin & brass insert and they go in & out nice & smooth.
It is a little more effort to line up than my other cars, but they are tube cars and we used the kits for those.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I would definitely make sure you can remove the doors, my friend just installed glass doors and used the the stock hinges and made no provision to remove them. Pain in the ass winching the car in and totally missed out on the convenience of having them out of the way when working on the car.

·
T/S 368E
28,386 Posts

Agree completely. If I couldn''t get them on & off by myself with the stock hinges,
you can bet your ass I would have done something different.
All of my cars have removal doors just so I can load & unload the car without a winch.
I have a winch in the trailer, but hope it's just for show, not using!!!

Reactions: Boosted Bullet

·
T/S 368E
28,386 Posts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts