Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys wear on your hands and arms to prevent burns from the headers when changing plugs at the end of the track?

thanks

·
Registered
808 Posts
We've tried Mechanics Gloves... melted them... I have some older Firefighter Gloves I keep for extreme measures... works great.... if you know any local Firefighters ask them for an old pair.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
I used an 8 inch long spark plug socket. No, this is not a joke.

·
Registered
737 Posts
put a fan on the headers and they will be cold in 5-6 mins no need to change them as soon as you shut it off, plenty of other this to do when headers are cooling down.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
#5, #6, #11. Never an issue. We also jack the front end of the car up, set it on jack stands, & that makes changing the plugs a whole lot easier.

I like the idea of those Kevlar gloves, Mike. Thx.

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Get them ceramic coated. My valve covers are hotter than my headers by the time the car is back to the pits. Also a big floor fan helps a lot.

·
Registered
13,889 Posts
put a fan on the headers and they will be cold in 5-6 mins no need to change them as soon as you shut it off, plenty of other this to do when headers are cooling down.
same here get back from a pass, 18 inch fan on the motor cool in 5 min .

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Thin harbor freight welding gloves.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I cool the engine off with the fan/pump. Cool to the touch in 5 minutes. I hate gloves.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts