Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up a new never used moser 12 bolt this weekend. Has a 1310 yolk on it. Would like to change it out for a 1350 yolk. How do i do this without messing up the ring and pinion settings?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
isn’t the pinion depth set initially with the pinion flange nut? If I loosened the pinion flange nut and took it off to change out the flange, wouldn’t I be re-crushing the crush sleeve when I tighten down the nut? Inevitably changing the pinion depth?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tightening down the yolk nut doesn’t change pinion depth, the shimming sets pinion depth. The yolk nut sets the pinion bearing preload when using a crush sleeve. I would go with a solid spacer. Much better.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
First figure out if it has a crush collar or a spacer. If it has a spacer all you have to do is swap yokes and torque a new nut on it. If it has a crush collar you should put a new crush collar or a spacer in. Either will work and it won't have any effect on your gear setup. The pinion depth shim is under the inner pinion bearing, the yoke and crush collar have no effect on it. To change the crush collar or install a spacer you will have to remove the carrier with the ring gear and be careful to keep the side shims in the right place.

·
Registered
13,882 Posts
If it has a crush sleeve, get rid of it. Use a solid spacer, and set the gears up properly. If it has a spacer and shims, it's a painless change.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Theoretically you can measure the pinion bearing preload (inch/lbs) before you remove the old one, Then install the new yoke and keep tightening the nut till you get the same reading. Hard to get a precise reading if the axles and all are in place tho.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is a housing strait from moser. Axles aren’t in it yet. Has never been in a car yet.

·
Registered
63,675 Posts
Tightening down the yolk nut doesn’t change pinion depth, the shimming sets pinion depth. The yolk nut sets the pinion bearing preload when using a crush sleeve. I would go with a solid spacer. Much better.
This

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
This is a housing strait from moser. Axles aren’t in it yet. Has never been in a car yet.
Ck the specs or call Moser and find out if it has a spacer. If it does your good all you need to do is remove the nut and pull the yoke. Put the new yoke on, put the nut on with loctite use a new nut if possible. Torque the nut to the spec Moser gives you and you're good to go.

·
Registered
63,675 Posts
X2

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
I don’t have to do anything with the pinion bearing preload?
Correct. The solid spacer does NOT move, unlike a crush sleeve.
All you have to do it’s torque it down...which can be hard cause you are trying to rotate the axles. Parking brake or brakes might work, a LOT of guys will just run the nut down with a good impact and call it done.

You got lucky.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I don’t have to do anything with the pinion bearing preload?
Pinion preload is already set by the guy that set the rear up. The solid spacer prevents any more preload and all is good as long as you tighten the nut to the correct torque and it locks down and or has loctite. Don't use an impact. Either buy the tool that bolts to the yoke or use a big pipe wrench locked on the yoke or bolt a piece of steel to the yoke. Let the steel/pipe wrench rotate until it stops against the lower arm, then pull your torque.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts