Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a 5500 converter in my truck, th350 basically stock, changed to a 4800-5000 converter and installed a tci manual valve body. With the 5500 converter, truck pulled the wheels 6" for about 10' , now, it pulls the front end up no wheels off the ground, then spins!
S10 with home made style caltracs 1/2 turn preload. Bars in top holes, but bars are on slight angle down.
Track was mint, hold down some 8 second cars!

I changed stalls because I figured the other was too big, didn't really here it shift into third.
Do I switch back to the other stall?
It was the only thing changed on the truck, except valve body, but maybe with the new valve body, and old converter I will get a better 2-3 shift!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Generally that means you have too much A/S; however, it also sounds like this converter is tighter (to be expected). Looser tends to be faster; but more data is needed. Comparison incrementals (timeslips) from both converters, as well as shiftpoints, fall back rpm, trap rpm and mph would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Generally that means you have too much A/S; however, it also sounds like this converter is tighter (to be expected). Looser tends to be faster; but more data is needed. Comparison incrementals (timeslips) from both converters, as well as shiftpoints, fall back rpm, trap rpm and mph would be helpful.
What do you mean, I have too much A/S?

That's why and only why I swapped it out, 2-3 drop rpm wasn't noticeable

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
What do you mean, I have too much A/S?

That's why and only why I swapped it out, 2-3 drop rpm wasn't noticeable
Anti-squat. It hits the tire too hard, then unloads. Or your front end rises too quickly (tighten up the front shocks/struts on extension), leading to a similar effect. Without any data (or even a video), it's impossible to tell.

The converter issues are best resolved by a converter guru (Lenny at UCC or similar). You could also throw more gear in it and put the old converter back in, but you've not really given any useful data that's been asked for (see my previous post). More gear will tighten the converter a bit. There's much tuning you can do, but going in blind is really just pissing in the wind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts