Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am doing the change from internal oil pump wet sump setup to a dry sump Peterson.
First thing is can I run the same sump which is below and below the first pic its the one on the left side and if I can run that pan what changes will I need to do to work like a purpose built dry sump any info will be great?
also we are doing some changes to my sump now as you can see the extra ears on the side still need to do the other side and while we are doing that I hope you guys can suggest ideas to help my new setup...
PS its a 4 Stage dry sump Peterson!

You can check out my engine buildup here http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1840290427&aid=222

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm a little unclear on what you are asking, but I've converted a couple of aluminum wet sump pans to use a single stage external pump. Pickups are a simple tube with a slot, with an external screen thingy(Peterson). My pure dry sumps get a proper pan. Obviously, you will have to put at least 2 pickups into the pan, and you will not need the baffling used to keep the oil around the stock-location pickup. Wet sumps use finesse to gather nice, bubbleless oil, dry sumps just use brute pumping capacity; they WANT to pump air! You will be able to use a full-length windage screen/baffle, but that's about all you can do without some major surgery. IMO, you'd be better off selling that nice pan to offset some of the cost of a new DS pan; you are going to have a lot of work in a pan that will have v little resale value, but that's just me. But if a good DS pan will not fit in the car, then you have to do what you have to do.

Once you go dry, you will never go back.

Mark

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a little unclear on what you are asking, but I've converted a couple of aluminum wet sump pans to use a single stage external pump. Pickups are a simple tube with a slot, with an external screen thingy(Peterson). My pure dry sumps get a proper pan. Obviously, you will have to put at least 2 pickups into the pan, and you will not need the baffling used to keep the oil around the stock-location pickup. Wet sumps use finesse to gather nice, bubbleless oil, dry sumps just use brute pumping capacity; they WANT to pump air! You will be able to use a full-length windage screen/baffle, but that's about all you can do without some major surgery. IMO, you'd be better off selling that nice pan to offset some of the cost of a new DS pan; you are going to have a lot of work in a pan that will have v little resale value, but that's just me. But if a good DS pan will not fit in the car, then you have to do what you have to do.

Mark
I am going full dry sump yes and just wanted to know if I can still run the same pan I had.....I know I have to place pickups into the pan which I will run in the back side where you can see the ear of the side!
Do I have to run a windage screen/baffle, because I have a moroso full windage tray all ready off the main caps?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts

Mark
I would agree with the above. I don't understand. Are you trying to save a ton of money? By the time you have worked on the pan, with the chance of not having it perform as it should I don't see a lot of savings. As he stated above sell the pan by one that is made for a dry sump system and proven to work.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would agree with the above. I don't understand. Are you trying to save a ton of money? By the time you have worked on the pan, with the chance of not having it perform as it should I don't see a lot of savings. As he stated above sell the pan by one that is made for a dry sump system and proven to work.
I here ya but the work that is getting done on my pan is not costing me!
that is why I just want a few ideas on change it to work with a dry setup...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I honestly can't see switching to a dry sump system and wanting to keep an oil pan that is clearly not designed for your new setup just to save a few bucks. Do it once and do it right!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I honestly can't see switching to a dry sump system and wanting to keep an oil pan that is clearly not designed for your new setup just to save a few bucks. Do it once and do it right!!
I here what you guys are saying but I want to do my one that's all, so if I can get some info or some photos on here that will help!

Johnny.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Sorry man, I'm with 358chevycamaro. Do it right the first time and buy what you want/need the first time, you'll save yourself a bunch of aggravation and money in the long run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts