Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Monte or any of you guys - have you watched the video (in car) of my 9.39 @ 144 pass??? If so, Hutch thought I could go to like a 3.50 gear from my 3.89. Could you watch it and let me know what you think? Here is the video: It may take a second - just wait it will open.

http://picapic.net/media/V6F7524

The reason for the change, the shift light is on 6,800 and it just does not like the high rpm stuff, 434 sbc with a fairly mild cam. Should I change the gear or go with a cam the pulls good to 7,200 or so?

·
Administrator
136,618 Posts
YDLUZ, its either the video or something sounds kinda messed up about 1-2 seconds into the run. Also looks like the shift light is hanging in there for a bit at the end. A 3.50 would take car of the trap RPM..

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Monty Mikho said:
YDLUZ, its either the video or something sounds kinda messed up about 1-2 seconds into the run. Also looks like the shift light is hanging in there for a bit at the end. A 3.50 would take car of the trap RPM..
Think it would hurt the 60'? Not that the 9.39 pass was any good- it spun-but that's just wore out slicks. As you know, it usually hooks to a low 1.3 and I need that to be the case next season.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
136,618 Posts
It will depend on the convertor I believe. Hutch would know more about that than me... I have moved from 3.89 to 4.10 to 4.30 gears and was always able to manage the same 60's on the car. The shift RPM drops were not affected much either.. But the amount of pull (g-force on g-meter) and time over RPM (RPM on datalogger) were changed..

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Monty Mikho said:
It will depend on the convertor I believe. Hutch would know more about that than me... I have moved from 3.89 to 4.10 to 4.30 gears and was always able to manage the same 60's on the car. The shift RPM drops were not affected much either.. But the amount of pull (g-force on g-meter) and time over RPM (RPM on datalogger) were changed..
To be perfectly honest, I almost bought a gear venders OD unit to help my drive to work in the summer! So, this 3.50 gear thing would really be awesome for highway driving! If it did not slow the car down, it would be a huge win / win.

The converter is tight, about 4,200 leaving on a 350 shot, but it seems to still make good power down there when I hit it that hard with the bottle.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, I'm thinking about buying another center section with something around a 3.30 gear. Then I can highway the hell out of it and try it on the bottle too. If it runs bad, oh well, still have a better street set-up and I'll just change back and forth.

Thanks for your help......any other opinions out there?????

·
Registered
424 Posts
One opinion and one question.....lol

First the opinion.....get a full face helmet. Any kind of fire will melt the liner of that open lid right to your face..not to mention what will happen to your eyeballs. Tafil wasted a tranny on the line and some parts came through the tunnel and filled the car with a mist of tranny fluid which then ignited thanks to a sparking positive wire under the dash which was also severed....only a few seconds in the car and all that exposed liner of his open faced helmet was melted into his face....it wasn't pretty.

Now the question...how much were you spraying in that vid and how much do you plan on spraying next year?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
i have a set of 360 pro gears for a 9 inch with very little passes if instrested,steve 434-665-5567

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HellBent said:
One opinion and one question.....lol

First the opinion.....get a full face helmet. Any kind of fire will melt the liner of that open lid right to your face..not to mention what will happen to your eyeballs. Tafil wasted a tranny on the line and some parts came through the tunnel and filled the car with a mist of tranny fluid which then ignited thanks to a sparking positive wire under the dash which was also severed....only a few seconds in the car and all that exposed liner of his open faced helmet was melted into his face....it wasn't pretty.

Now the question...how much were you spraying in that vid and how much do you plan on spraying next year?
That's a 350 big shot tune in the 9.39 video. .120N / .116F at 5.0 fuel pressure, 1,050 bottle pressure and 27 degrees total. Thus far, the plan to run the same tune-up next year.

Next season I plan to have all new and proper safety gear - thank you for commenting on that as well!!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'd just do the gear then...it might be worthwhile to talk to Neal Chance about the coverter...Hutch recommended them to me and the converter I got from them only had 1-2% slip on the high end (that's unheard of in an automatic trans...let alone a nitrous car)..as far as the cam goes...if it ain't broke don't fix it!...lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts