1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Aviation Section
25,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I have been looking into getting my pilots license lately. Based on what I have read, the cost averages around 10k depending on what size/type of plane you train in. Does that sound about right?

Also looking at a piper cub that has 4000 hours on it for around 15k. Is it real expensive for routine annual maitenance on a plane like this?

·
Aviation Section
25,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been looking into getting my pilots license lately. Based on what I have read, the cost averages around 10k depending on what size/type of plane you train in. Does that sound about right?

Also looking at a piper cub that has 4000 hours on it for around 15k. Is it real expensive for routine annual maitenance on a plane like this?
No and Yes, it will cost you about $5000.00 for your private. Do not EVER buy your own aircraft unless it is you and several friends to spread the cost around. Ask me how I know. Dave

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
That makes sense. The guys I know that fly a lot do share a plane. I figured it was due to the high upfront costs, but it sounds like upkeep is costly.

·
Registered
681 Posts
That is awesome!!!!! I learned to fly in a Cessna 150 with a 150 horse engine and "Texas Taildragger" conversion. Used to land it on our farm in Kansas. Pretty crazy I think it would handle those 3 strips as well.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have the other thread going and she told me @8 grand total. She also suggested going halves or even quarters with other people with the purchase of the plane. She did say that that could be less depending on how much studying I do and the class time could be less if I wasnt a bonehead and required alot of class time.

·
time to go racing yet ?
35,157 Posts
No and Yes, it will cost you about $5000.00 for your private. Do not EVER buy your own aircraft unless it is you and several friends to spread the cost around. Ask me how I know. Dave

well ill ask , i have been kicking around the idea also . but think it may be a black hole deal . i seen it would cost around 5k to get the liscense . then plaines are sorta cheap , nothing crazy . but what about the other costs ? like the yearly , insurance ?? things like that .

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
1. at 3:05 it sounds like he got the Mario thing where he goes from little to big.

2. At the 3rd spot I can see exactly what would happen if I tried it. I would have to aim for the bank before the strip. Id miss because I'd be coming in too fast, pull power and flair...but it would stay just like that until I smacked into the up hill part. Likely prop first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts