Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My piping is tight. I'm burning up wires on the regular. Once my shit is together, it's hard to tell when the boots are touching the Headers with all the wrapping I have on them.. I wanna drive the shit, not work on it. I know when I'm having a problem because the AFR's will go wacky lean.. The wires I've been using will turn into mush from the heat.

Can Ceramic Boots live with direct contact? All suggestions welcome..

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I'm not sure you will find anything that will live touching a primary exhaust pipe. You may have to get creative. Not sure where your problems are, but below are pictures of my headers without shielding, then the SS covers I made to keep the wires away.

I still have to protect the wires with the 8mm Moroso insulation and over the top of that down closer to the boots where it is close to the shield I use the larger insulation covers that partially slip over the section of the boot where the wire goes in.

You can just see both covers in the second photo. With the shield and the insulation, my wires have an acceptable life. I used the same set during my cross-country trip last year. Over 13,000 miles and 70+ runs.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Custom Heat Shields are pretty cool.
Yep and as it turned out they just drop in after you work them past the plug wires, they're not even bolted to anything. Used some poster board to make a pattern cut and bent them by hand using stainless sheet metal.

·
Registered
443 Posts
My piping is tight. I'm burning up wires on the regular. Once my shit is together, it's hard to tell when the boots are touching the Headers with all the wrapping I have on them.. I wanna drive the shit, not work on it. I know when I'm having a problem because the AFR's will go wacky lean.. The wires I've been using will turn into mush from the heat.

Can Ceramic Boots live with direct contact? All suggestions welcome..
Get rid of those headers, I have been telling you this since your build started. I had the same problem with cheap headers and finally bought some good ones and had no more issues.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
A very cool trick is to buy those small clear fuel filters, pull the clear glass/Pyrex tube off and slip over plug boot. Can lie right on header tube...indestructible...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts