Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and seen no true definite answer. Im wondering at what power level do the two center ports become a problem? I know you can make them work, but for how long? At 1300fwhp, could they live up to the task reliably?

I was thinking of the Brodix 11X heads, in a spreadport pattern.

Im open to any advice.

Thanks

·
SB2.2 + pt106
1,928 Posts
my car makes over 1600 rwhp and does not have a problem with 23* heads.

I have no water to the center ports.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its got more to do with the temp of the gas coming out of those ports, and the ablity of the cooling system to 'carry' away the heat...
I must ask, how do you "carry" away the heat?

I take it you control the temp of the gas by adding fuel to those cylinders.

If all the above is correct, can I count on this combination lasting me a while?

Thanks

·
On the flow bench
13,722 Posts
I must ask, how do you "carry" away the heat?

I take it you control the temp of the gas by adding fuel to those cylinders.

If all the above is correct, can I count on this combination lasting me a while?

Thanks

"carry' away the heat via water cooling , the way the water flows through the heads is important to when the 2 exhaust valves are close together..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the water cooling in place, will this combination be reliable at 1300hp? I want to have no issue's with this later down the road.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"carry' away the heat via water cooling , the way the water flows through the heads is important to when the 2 exhaust valves are close together..
With the water cooling in place, will this combination be reliable at 1300hp? I want to have no issue's with this later down the road.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Im making 2000 hp, and running side by side ex valve heads (SBC, SB2). The car has made more than 35 passes at the same power level and the engine is holding together nicely (fingers corssed).

Its not ideal to have the Ex valves side by side, but do-able if you do your R&D and sneak up on the tune and boost levels youll do it reliably. Just be prepared to try things and ways of keeping your chambers burning perfectly, and if there is any sign of detonation - you'll know about it instantly.

If a redneck aussie like me can do it down here - anyone can do it!

However, if I was starting from scratch - id probably choose a symmetrical port head....

Pete.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im making 2000 hp, and running side by side ex valve heads (SBC, SB2). The car has made more than 35 passes at the same power level and the engine is holding together nicely (fingers corssed).

Its not ideal to have the Ex valves side by side, but do-able if you do your R&D and sneak up on the tune and boost levels youll do it reliably. Just be prepared to try things and ways of keeping your chambers burning perfectly, and if there is any sign of detonation - you'll know about it instantly.

If a redneck aussie like me can do it down here - anyone can do it!

However, if I was starting from scratch - id probably choose a symmetrical port head....

Pete.
Very nice!

So, if it were you, would you go for it? I dont know if the power level make's a difference(I would think so). I wont be making much past 1300fwhp.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Go for it!!! There are many guys using traditional SBC heads in turbo applications making that sort of power....

Just use a head that has a stable deck surface not chinese crap. Any good quality head like AFR, Drat, Brodix, GM, etc would do the trick at that power level.

Use good fuel, and make sure you put a fuel system that will far exceed your HP requirement x 25%....

Pete.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
Go for it!!! There are many guys using traditional SBC heads in turbo applications making that sort of power....

Just use a head that has a stable deck surface not chinese crap. Any good quality head like AFR, Drat, Brodix, GM, etc would do the trick at that power level.

Use good fuel, and make sure you put a fuel system that will far exceed your HP requirement x 25%....

Pete.
This is correct. 2000 + is doable on 23*. Tune is very important.
The fuel system seems to be oneof the most over looked areas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts