Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Cell phones for 3rd graders??

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a discussion between two parents on the radio this morning arguing if their 8yr. old daughter should get a cell. Dad said she was too young and the Mom said she wanted the safety factor. Waddayathink??

·
D/R 1879
4,801 Posts
3rd graders shouldn't be in a situation where they are by themselves. When at school if they need to get in contact with a parent then they can go to the office and have them call the parents. Other than that the kids should be with a parent/babysitter etc.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3rd graders shouldn't be in a situation where they are by themselves. When at school if they need to get in contact with a parent then they can go to the office and have them call the parents. Other than that the kids should be with a parent/babysitter etc.
I agree. At what age would you consent to them getting one? Just so my 2 8yr. olds don't get their hopes up, I've told them that they can have a cell phoneas soon as they get a job.(they've been wanting 1 since 1st grade, and they say lots of their 3rd grade friends have them already)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
My 11 yr old has one.

get with the times old man.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
My 9yr old son has a phone.

Its very situational, as long as the child knows its not a toy and has respect for it then there should be no issue.

He has it because his mother would not let him call his dad when he was with her, so I got him his own phone :) Now she only has him on tues and wed nights and he see's me 28 out of 30 days a month. Now he just uses his phone to send silly text messages to friends and family but has it just in case he is going out of town for something.

·
D/R 1879
4,801 Posts
I agree. At what age would you consent to them getting one? Just so my 2 8yr. olds don't get their hopes up, I've told them that they can have a cell phoneas soon as they get a job.(they've been wanting 1 since 1st grade, and they say lots of their 3rd grade friends have them already)
Well I got my first cell phone as a graduation gift from high school... but I'd say high 7th-8th grade would be the time if they play sports or are part of after school activities. This way they can give a parent a ring to pick them up.

Also I'd probably want to limit them text messaging since that is all these kids do now...they need to learn how to interact with people.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I got my first cell phone as a graduation gift from high school... but I'd say high 7th-8th grade would be the time if they play sports or are part of after school activities. This way they can give a parent a ring to pick them up.

Also I'd probably want to limit them text messaging since that is all these kids do now...they need to learn how to interact with people.
Hmmmmmmmm, My one friend that does have a teenager(one of those 50,000 text a mo. kids) is an unsocialized little brat with a shitty attitude. lol

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
They have kids phones that all they can do is get and send calls to numbers you put in the phone and 911 .... There isn't even a keypad on the phone
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
I'm currently dating a childhood friend who is my age (50) and she wants to buy her 10 year old Grand daughter a Cell phone! I'm like what?????

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,553 Posts
if my kid is 6 or 7 damn right they will have a cell phone and will know its not a toy and only have family member numbers an 911..if some one grabs my kid up when ever i have kids that phone might be the best thing an keep them alive an safe.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Both my 13 year old son and 9 year old daughter have phones. It's $20 bucks per month total for both when combined with our plan. It teaches them respect (they don't know they have unlimited texting and calling) and responsibility(they're told if they go over their plan it's gone and they pay). And the best part is with the GPS I know where they are and there are NO excuses about not being able to call and check in. BTW, phones are at home when they go to school. Sign of the times. We used to ride around in the front seat with no seat belts, but because I "survived" doesn't mean it's ok for my kids.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts