Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be of some use, it might not be, it might help clear the air, it might not:

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
great info..

1 question..is combination vehicle defined as one with combination plates like we talked about?
my stuff will be separate plated

the way this reads..i could have a 26000lb toter home and any trailer as long as my total length is under 65ft with a class c license..am i right?or does it mean i need a non cdl class A?like the other guy said "any trailer with over 10000lb total rated axles requires a class A."of course the the toter would have rv plates.i never see rv's in our area weigh stations.

·
Premium Member
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great info..

1 question..is combination vehicle defined as one with combination plates like we talked about?
my stuff will be separate plated

the way this reads..i could have a 26000lb toter home and any trailer as long as my total length is under 65ft with a class c license..am i right?or does it mean i need a non cdl class A?like the other guy said "any trailer with over 10000lb total rated axles requires a class A."of course the the toter would have rv plates.i never see rv's in our area weigh stations.
The boxes all go together. Now you may have to upgrade your license from a Class C to B or A but not need a CDL.

And your scenario is correct. The highlighted portion.

·
Premium Member
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I get a chance I will post up more stuff to help ease things a little with this monster called CDL.

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
lol..maybe i should just go ahead and get my cdl...i have a dot physical card and an apportioned plated 1ton and token plated g/n flatbed (my brother hotshots in it for me)...i even have the cdl study book,just need to read it. ...i guess then i could drive just about anything.LOL

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
that would be a great thing to do... just remember when you have a cdl, someone is gonna ask for your log book. don't have one, and your out of commision for 10 hours. best case senario, if your worried about this, is to get a cdl, and a log book, but then your gonna have to abide by the driving hours, which if your in an rv are stupid. the thing most people lose site of is the word commercial, (in commerce, to make money) good luck and i hope everyone thanks o.c. for work in helping in this arena...

·
Premium Member
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Texas has the 150 air mile window for not needing a logbook.

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
Texas has the 150 air mile window for not needing a logbook.

so you have to log even if your not in a work truck?so if i took my daughters VW to houston i would have to log?thats nuts.LOL

i wonder what the air miles is from kilgore to the northstar track?northstar and kennedale are both 160miles my house on the highway...HMP is 200 miles so i am sure thats out of the 150range.

interesting topic for sure.

·
Premium Member
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so you have to log even if your not in a work truck?so if i took my daughters VW to houston i would have to log?thats nuts.LOL

i wonder what the air miles is from kilgore to the northstar track?northstar and kennedale are both 160miles my house on the highway...HMP is 200 miles so i am sure thats out of the 150range.

interesting topic for sure.
If you are in, Interstate commerce.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
i'm pretty sure the fed law is 150 air miles of your home port. 150 air miles is actually a lot area.

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
If you are in, Interstate commerce.
i dragrace just for fun...lol...no lettering anywhere ....i really want a toterhome so i can go to some races that are further away and not have to try and drive home while i am sleepy..i will get my cdl just to be safe and know i am legal..

your info really helps everyone .

thanks

·
Premium Member
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm pretty sure the fed law is 150 air miles of your home port. 150 air miles is actually a lot area.
Heckuva lot of area.

·
Premium Member
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dragrace just for fun...lol...no lettering anywhere ....i really want a toterhome so i can go to some races that are further away and not have to try and drive home while i am sleepy..i will get my cdl just to be safe and know i am legal..

your info really helps everyone .

thanks
If you were into Interstate commerce, I would be pushing you that way in a heartbeat.

If you are not, why bother with Motor Carrier numbers, USDOT, TXDOT numbers annual physical, cab cards, medical cards, Fuel Tax for certain states.

That's one helluva headache brother.

·
Premium Member
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the clarification gottuna.

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
If you were into Interstate commerce, I would be pushing you that way in a heartbeat.

If you are not, why bother with Motor Carrier numbers, USDOT, TXDOT numbers annual physical, cab cards, medical cards, Fuel Tax for certain states.

That's one helluva headache brother.

do i have to have all that stuff for a RV if i have a cdl?

·
Premium Member
102,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
do i have to have all that stuff for a RV if i have a cdl?
Oh I forgot one you will need a "Not For Hire" sticker also.

Now an RV changes things a bit. :-D

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
Oh I forgot one you will need a "Not For Hire" sticker also.

Now an RV changes things a bit. :-D
rv plates for sure...i would never use it for work..hate to be out of state driving my rv and have to log..logs books are a pain and can cost you a bunch.LOL

i hotshot myself(small stuff under 150miles) and really need to get a cdl,just been putting it off..i got all the legal stuff for my work trucks..

·
Registered
744 Posts
All Right Carl...

I have my Class B CDL with air brakes.

I have an 89 c3500 crew cab dually, and a 24' enclosed trailer.

If I want to come race in TX am I going to get any grief, and do I have to pull in to weigh stations?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts