Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changeing fuel filters on a 3406E, it has two filters. Should they be pre-filled or not?
Thanks Rick

·
Philippians 4:13
2,922 Posts
Is it a mechanical pump? It's best to always pre fill if you can, less chance of getting air in lines.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its an electronic motor if that means anything. Its been awhile since I have been around these things.
Thanks Rick

·
Registered
422 Posts
Thought so. I couldn't blow it up large enough to see for sure. We did a couple 3512s at our shop. I haven't seen a 3516. Isn't that basically two 3508's bolted together?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I grew up around the 3406B's in my dad's Macks and Peterbilts. Strong workhorses!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Like Big Cat said prime with hand pump (or self-contained electric pump if equipped). If you have to pre-fill manually try to fill the filters from the O.D. of the filter, not the center hole. That way the fuel is filtered. The fuel system tolerances on these engines have extremely close tolerances and do not like dirty fuel.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If you have access to compressed air.......... screw them on, open the bleeder and lightly pressurize the tank. They will fill and the fuel will be fully filter. Put a rag around the neck and use the blow gun allowing some air to bypass so as not over-pressurize the tank.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
fill the filter with fuel! i went to read my cat manual for the first oil change it clearly stated the oil filter should be installed DRY because the new oil could be contaminated....... aint no way im installing an oil filter thats dry and starting my engine!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts