Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone work at a dealership and experienced this yet. Drained the oil out of a '00 Explorer V8 302 with 104,000 mi.; filled it with water and ran it till the motor tied up.:rolleyes: As directed by the government. Next stop, scrap yard. Three other vehicles waiting.

·
Creepy Ass ******
5,801 Posts
I thought the junk yards were allowed to pull motors and transmissions before they were crushed. We just took a ford escape that was traded in on some SERIOUS off roading. Its a shame to see some decent cars going to the crusher though.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
We cant pull motors or transmissions. Body and suspension only.

·
Impeach obama
6,174 Posts
I thought the vehicle has to be running, that way they are "taking it off the road"

I am turning in a 1997 econoline van that I bought a couple years ago for $450.00

Putting the $4500.00 towards a new fusion

·
Registered
753 Posts
http://www.cashforclunkersfacts.com/car-dealers/how-to-use-sodium-silicate-to-disable-engines

How To Use Sodium Silicate

Engine Disablement Procedures for the CARS Program

Taken from Page 127 in the NHTSA Final Rule

THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT TO BE USED BY THE VEHICLE OWNER
THESE STEPS ARE FOR PARTICPATING CARS DEALERS ONLY

Perform the following procedure to disable the vehicle engine.​
1. Obtain solution of 40% sodium silicate/60% water. (The Sodium Silicate (SiO2/Na2O) must have a weight ratio of 3.0 or greater.)
2. Drain engine oil for environmentally appropriate disposal.
3. Install the oil drain plug.
4. Since the procedure is intended to render the engine inoperative, drive or move the vehicle to the desired area for disablement.
5. Pour enough solution in the engine through the oil fill for the oil pump to circulate the solution throughout the engine. Start by adding 2 quarts of the solution, which should be sufficient in most cases.
CAUTION: Wear goggles and gloves. Appropriate protective clothing should be worn to prevent silicate solution from coming into contact with the skin.
6. Replace the oil fill cap.
7. Start the engine.
8. Run engine at approximately 2000 rpm (for safety reasons do not operate at high rpm) until the engine stops. (Typically the engine will operate for 3 to 7 minutes. As the solution starts to affect engine operation, the operator will have to apply more throttle to keep the engine at 2000 rpm.)
9. Allow the engine to cool for at least 1 hour.
10. With the battery at full charge or with auxiliary power to provide the power of a fully charged battery, attempt to start the engine.
11. If the engine will not operate at idle, the procedure is complete.
12. If the engine will operate at idle, repeat steps 7 through 11 until the engine will no longer idle.
13. Attach a label to the engine that legibly states the following:
This engine is from a vehicle that is part of the Car Allowance Rebate System (CARS). It has significant internal damage caused by operating the engine with a sodium silicate solution (liquid glass) instead of oil.
14. File this document in the file for the new vehicle purchase.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We were told every vehicle needs to be "disabled" before it leaves. Exactly GT358.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Yes, we are responsible to purchase the chemicals to "disable" the engine. Then some company will come and pick up the disabled units and as long as our paperwork is in order, will go to the place where the vehicles are crushed. Then, as long as all of the paperwork is in order, the dealership will get their money from the government. Sounds like we are all going to get ripped off here!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yes, we are responsible to purchase the chemicals to "disable" the engine. Then some company will come and pick up the disabled units and as long as our paperwork is in order, will go to the place where the vehicles are crushed. Then, as long as all of the paperwork is in order, the dealership will get their money from the government. Sounds like we are all going to get ripped off here!
Not exactly.They will go to auctions and junkyards that have registered with the program.We are aloud to take anything other than the drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The dealership I work for has refused the governments offer to participate in the program.

The dealers are gonna get screwed-along with the recyclers.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Yep, trying to expedite an end to a chapter in this country of driving oversize, gas guzzling vehicles, just because we can... Countries around the World have watched us continue to drive those monstrous, gas guzzling behemoths, and just chuckled. :smt081 They knew our time was coming.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Not exactly.They will go to auctions and junkyards that have registered with the program.We are aloud to take anything other than the drivetrain.

We were told we cannot touch anything on the vehicle. It also has to be registered, and driveable. The place that processes them is supposed to inspect them to make sure they are a complete vehicle with the engine disabled or the dealership will not get their money. Odd that other places get different information....or should I say "typical".

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yep, trying to expedite an end to a chapter in this country of driving oversize, gas guzzling vehicles, just because we can... Countries around the World have watched us continue to drive those monstrous, gas guzzling behemoths, and just chuckled. :smt081 They knew our time was coming.
The program wont even put a scratch into the enviromental impact these vehicles supposedly create.

·
T5 & T56 building fool
25,285 Posts
I'd be willing to bet the dealers end up getting the screwing.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
We were told we cannot touch anything on the vehicle. It also has to be registered, and driveable. The place that processes them is supposed to inspect them to make sure they are a complete vehicle with the engine disabled or the dealership will not get their money. Odd that other places get different information....or should I say "typical".
Are you refering to the dealers or the salvage yard? We are a Junk yard so we can.

·
Creepy Ass ******
5,801 Posts
We have had about 10 of these things traded in the past 2 days. Checked with the service manager and he said we are supposed to blow em up. Pretty stoked about it now! Gonna go lay some crankshafts on the ground! lol maybe i can get some good pics of some carnage.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Originally Posted by 1FastMopar
The program wont even put a scratch into the enviromental impact these vehicles supposedly create.

You "may" be right, but I was not saying it will put an end, just expedite an end. Time will put an end to it, not any one single government program.. It is time we started considering that our own lifestyles helped put our country in the place it is in, it is not all big government and big companies that have caused it all, they just facilitated it, but we the people went with it. It is always easier to blame the next guy.

This program is also to help spawn some auto sales, seems that from what we hear from a few people on the bullet that it may be working some.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
This program will run out of money well before enough older vehicles will taken off the road to make a difference. It is just another way the government makes it seem like they are "helping" us out of the crappy economy.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd be willing to bet the dealers end up getting the screwing.
Have already heard of a few getting screwed over on titles and registration not matching exactly. (like one said Joe & the other said Joseph)

1 - 20 of 76 Posts