Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok maybe not destroying, but they are beginning to drill 3/8" holes into one particular board. What gives? I kill them when I see them. Why do they bore into the wood? What do u suggest for a deterant? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
I get 1/2" inch holes in my deck...If you look closely, they don't just bore straight in. Once they get to the desired depth, they bore a path 90 degrees from th open bore. They lay their eggs, and then they die.

Add a bottle of cayan pepper to the next stain job.

·
Banned
18,113 Posts
Brake Clean will knock them right out of the air. Tennis rackets also work great on them and will give you some excersize. You gotta hit them pretty hard, they are tough SOB's! Those little fuggers like to taunt you, they'll hover right in front of your face. They chase my cats and dogs!

Yeah, they do drill perfect holes! That is where they put their eggs.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I have same issue would wasp spray kill them?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Yes wasp spray kills them, but if they already drilled in, they most likely already laid their eggs. Spraying the hole won't kill the eggs. You have to "dust" them with Sevin dust (or similar) then caulk them shut. If you think the damage is bad now, in a few months when the larvae hatch, they make a LOT of noise that woodpeckers key in on. The damage from woodpeckers trying to get at the larvae is 100 times worse then the little 1/2" holes!! BTW, the ones who just hover around are males. They have no stinger and they are guarding the nest. They divebomb the shit out of you but can't sting. The look identical to the female, except the males have a yellow face and the females have a black face. The females do have a stinger, but generally are only interested in drilling new holes. The corridors the drill can be up to 18" long after they make the 90 degree turn, so that's a ton of eggs laid! As you can tell, I have done a shit ton of research on these things. I just built a new 52' covered porch last fall so I'm out there guarding it like Ft Knox! I found this stuff that you mix in with stain and it repels them for 2 years: http://www.bugclinic.com/mm5/mercha...ore_Code=bc1&Product_Code=9670&Category_Code=

They drill twice a year: once in the early summer then again in late summer, so be prepared!!!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
X2 on the carb cleaner, spray about a 1-2' section by the hole and they wont return....better to catch them inside and then they will all die.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
How big is the typical "swarm"...? I usually only see one or two at a time.
Mike
They don't swarm. They are solitary and are attracted to the smell of decaying wood. The will nest near each other if you have a lot of exposed wood, and they will return to the same place and drill a new hole year after year if you don't kill them. Also, I have killed females that started a hole, and came back the next day to see a new female drilling that hole deeper. I have also killed them out of holes and never seen another one bother that area, so I'm not real sure what they're smelling, lol. I use the wasp killer to knock down females when they land, and a 4ft piece of 3/4 pvc pipe for batting practice with the hovering males, lol.

·
Ice Cream Wolfpack
18,499 Posts
The residue from that carb cleaner will make those little shitheads not want to be anywhere near that deck for at least a couple days. Just don't go putting out cigarettes on the deck after you soak it in carb cleaner.

·
One day I will have a day
1,789 Posts
I used ortho termite spray . There is a mixture for carpenter bees . Spray it at dark when they are all in the holes . They will come out staggering and fall to the ground dead . It's easy to do with the pump sprayer , just stick the nozzle in the hole and fill er up !!!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
X2 on the carb cleaner, spray about a 1-2' section by the hole and they wont return....better to catch them inside and then they will all die.
They won't all die in the hole. There is only one female bee in the hole, plus her eggs. She drills a chamber, deposits the egg, deposits some pollen, and seals the chamber. The she moves a little further and makes another chamber, etc. Anything you spray in the hole will only kill her. By the time the larvae hatch and chew through the seal, whatever you sprayed in the hole will be long gone and the woodpeckers will move on in!

·
I am The Dentist
50,950 Posts
Brake Clean will knock them right out of the air. Tennis rackets also work great on them and will give you some excersize. You gotta hit them pretty hard, they are tough SOB's! Those little fuggers like to taunt you, they'll hover right in front of your face. They chase my cats and dogs!

Yeah, they do drill perfect holes! That is where they put their eggs.
x2 on the Brake Kleen. And with the nozzle tube on it, you've got about 20 feet worth of aim.

I've noticed that they congregate in holes, not just one to a hole. Hit the outside of the hole with the Brake Kleen, and they all come rushing out and fall to the ground. I get them in my eaves, behind the siding seams. They aren't even boring into wood, just finding a good spot. Hit the seam and they go bonkers.

Spray it while they're flying through the air, and just the mist from it will knock them out of the sky. It's like watching a B24 get hit by AA fire.

-Brad

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.