Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
something about them, i could probably eat a dozen and im not a hot dog guy.
i have tried ust about every can of hot dog style chili i can find and cannot duplicate the taste of their chili.
any chili ive gave a shot has been a reddish tint. hardees stuff is more like a brown. id probably puke if i knew what was really in it but it sure does taste good.
it also has a spice to it. not hot, but lets you know its there.

if i cant buy or modify a store bought, id sure like to try and make my own, but dont know where to start.

·
Board certified
19,466 Posts
A true coney island sauce will be made with beef heart.......a few places in my state still make it the old fashioned way....

·
Registered
15,876 Posts
Carl's Jr has Hotdogs there??

·
Former RJ instigator
42,477 Posts
Sorry no help here but I know what you mean, it's more of a chili gravy than a tomato chili...., I googled it but came up with nothing.

Sonic's chili dog is good too.......

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
We have a chain out here called The Hat. They are famous for their pastrami but I get the chili dog. It comes with lots of cheese, pickles and tomatoes. You have to use a fork to eat it.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry no help here but I know what you mean, it's more of a chili gravy than a tomato chili...., I googled it but came up with nothing.

Sonic's chili dog is good too.......
they are good, but even hardees dogs are bigger and better than sonics, IMO.

i googled everything. cant find squat. all the recipes go to wendys chili. haha.

i called hardees and all they can tell me is the technical name is "chili base"

·
Former RJ instigator
42,477 Posts
they are good, but even hardees dogs are bigger and better than sonics, IMO.

i googled everything. cant find squat. all the recipes go to wendys chili. haha.

i called hardees and all they can tell me is the technical name is "chili base"
Well I have nothing to compare them to anymore, all the Hardees packed up and moved out of Memphis 15 years ago.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Texas Pete makes a very brown chilly dog topping. Might be that or something similar.
i tried it first, as texas pete is usually good stuff. its pretty red compared to the hardees chili, and very very sweet tasting. i ate about half a hot dog and had to toss it. wasnt my flavor.

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
i tried it first, as texas pete is usually good stuff. its pretty red compared to the hardees chili, and very very sweet tasting. i ate about half a hot dog and had to toss it. wasnt my flavor.
Did a quick search, looks like it might be Hormel. I opened a can and it looks about the same.

·
Registered
370 Posts
dont know about the franks but that jalapeno burger commercial was getting my attention till that Hilton chick ruined it
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Where is Denny at??

pdq67
Right here, just picking up on the thread. I'd have to eat one to get an idea but Carls Jr's are pretty scarce around here and we have no Hardies. As mentioned in the past, my first experience with Carls Jr was in California and while standing in line it dawned on me that I was tiny compared to the others. Stuff obviously sticks to your ribs.

Replicating the taste of a certain chili can be difficult. Perhaps it's just fond childhood memories, but there is a taste in cheap old grocery store chillie that I like. Tried to replicate the taste and so far has eluded me. Plain ol chili powder sometimes ain't plain ol chili powder. Cruised a fair amount of Hispanic supermarkets looking for ideas and there are lots of different dried chilies that you can blend. Afraid that's a puzzle that I'm missing a few pieces of and can't seem to get the picture.

Denny

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did a quick search, looks like it might be Hormel. I opened a can and it looks about the same.
i eat hormel chili no beans all the time at home with crackers, its for sure not hormel out of the can anyway. hormel is more red than hardees.

not sure about bunker hill. i will have to look into it. dont know if that brand is around here.

i made a mistake and tried walmarts great value hot dog chili. it didnt look right out of the can and one taste hot didnt change my mind. :)

good thing the 5 dollar bag is still going. i get it about twice a week. keeps my taste buds happy.

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
i eat hormel chili no beans all the time at home with crackers, its for sure not hormel out of the can anyway. hormel is more red than hardees.

not sure about bunker hill. i will have to look into it. dont know if that brand is around here.

i made a mistake and tried walmarts great value hot dog chili. it didnt look right out of the can and one taste hot didnt change my mind. :)

good thing the 5 dollar bag is still going. i get it about twice a week. keeps my taste buds happy.
Try letting it simmer for 8 hours....... Just saying......

·
Former RJ instigator
42,477 Posts
Have you tried duplicating the recipe on your own?
The other day I made some hot dog chili ( no beans ) for the guys at the shop, I started to dump a packet of brown gravy mix in it just to see WTF, I bet it would of been a nice brown color and thick as hell.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts