Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting my own buisness and am going to need a cargo van but am wanting as little overhead as I can have.

Would like a late 90's cargo van (perfer Chevy) and would like a v-6 (only hauling cleaning supplies).

Anything I should stay away from or pay more attention to when looking for one?

Some say just to get something old but apperance is everything.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
while an older 6 banger may seem to be the choice for good gas mileage, add the much needed 4:11 rear gear on a pretty heavy full size van chassis and you still have a under powered fuel drinker!, probably just as well off with a small block Chevy that will give you allot trouble free miles

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
while an older 6 banger may seem to be the choice for good gas mileage, add the much needed 4:11 rear gear on a pretty heavy full size van chassis and you still have a under powered fuel drinker!, probably just as well off with a small block Chevy that will give you allot trouble free miles
x2

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 4.3 Astros are what I was interested in. So those will work for what I want in place of a V8?

When you say 4.3 I assume you are tlaking about the V6 thats pretty much a 350 with 2 less cylinders right?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Whats the average MPG of the 8's?
I have a 99 extended 1 ton with a big block (7.4 ) with a 3:73 gear and it gets 13-ish mpg, loaded or not, the newer 6.0L will get much better mileage though

·
Senior Frog
10,345 Posts
I have a 92 Chevy Van 2500 series,FulSize w 5.7 litre,$3000 bucks takes it - runs mint,in storage now- Has one of them warps on it needs to be removed - maintained by yours truly 100K miles,no smoke,engine is tight,tranny is solid many new parts etc etc - was my first van for my own biz....I would love to help a new biz owner
will easily run for another 100K + miles . . . .

·
Registered
911 Posts
I DID ALOT OF BRAIN PICKING AND CHECKING AROUND ...THE ASTRO VAN PROBABLY YOUR BEST BET .MY E 250 IS A PIG ON GAS BUT VERY DEPENDABLE AND CAN HAUL OR TOW ALMOST ANYTHING , VL

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have two Astro vans. In short...by what you are describing, it is EXACTLY what you need.

Mine get around 25MPG around town, and around 18 loaded up with around 1500 pounds. Service is easy, just keep them maintained.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts