Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
A Fine Example For Others
40,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rebuilding my Proform 950 race series carburetor. Is it recommended to coat all rubber o-rings with, Vaseline?

Also has anyone used the Holley float bowls that allow jet changing without having to remove the float bowls?

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Been using Vaseline on Holley orings for 45 years. Never messed with the jet change bowls. Don't think there would be room to access on rear.

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Main ones would be on needle/seats, minimizes chance of cutting on threads installing. Only one on that carb off top my head. Transfer tube on side pivot bowls and old carbs with small brass tube for Accel pump makes install a lot easier.

·
A Fine Example For Others
40,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks crazees#2 and classracer. I'm one for one on the Vaseline question. Well I finally did it and stripped the threads on the main body for the float bowl. Bound to happen I guess. I repaired the main body with Heli-coils. Was browsing Jegs and had seen the Holley float bowls you didn't have to remove for jet changing.

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
I really like the Quickfuel bowls, but kind of on the fence now with them. Had one the needle and seat wouldn't go in, fixed it with a letter O drill bit just turning by hand. This spring had another that the needle was corroded and broke when I tried to replace. Had to loosen float hinge and break the bottom off so I get the rest out. Cleaned it up with same O drill bit but haven't used carb yet.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Never used any of the bowls where you didn't have to remove for a jet change. Just looks like a problem and one more place to leak. Once you strip out a bowl screw you'll have a feel so you won't do that again. Good gaskets, good screw seals and a nut driver handle and you shouldn't strip out the threads. Stay away from using a ratchet handle unless you are very gentle. I use a stubby 1/4" drive handle for the bowls on the car.
Vaseline on O-rings works good and prevents the o-ring from twisting when you install it. Not many 0-rings on a Holley carb.

·
Registered
24,273 Posts
Thanks crazees#2 and classracer. I'm one for one on the Vaseline question. Well I finally did it and stripped the threads on the main body for the float bowl. Bound to happen I guess. I repaired the main body with Heli-coils. Was browsing Jegs and had seen the Holley float bowls you didn't have to remove for jet changing.
You should Helicoil from day one . ;)

I learned that after messing with blow-thru carbs .

Got to snug them up pretty tight when you got 40psi of bowl pressure . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
That's what i put on my 950 when i built it and they're ok to use , it does take a feel you get used to for removing the jets that way with the tool. Just jetted my 950 down to 78-88 from 80-90's i had in it and it worked great except one jet in the rear passenger side i couldn't get it to stick in the tool so i had to remove that bowl anyway.
Fasest 60' 002 by Nuclearcobra, on Flickr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts