Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do two different carbs the same size and at the same afr make more power than the other?

I see it on here and other places all the time, as in "I swapped my 8082 1050 Holley for a Braswell or Book or Whitener and picked up two tenths".

Why exactly is that?

·
Long Live The King
103,029 Posts
How do both carbs process the Air/fuel and the BSFC they generate?

Jetting/boosters/air bleeds and how the metering plates work.

It’s not just airflow and size.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Why do two different carbs the same size and at the same afr make more power than the other?

I see it on here and other places all the time, as in "I swapped my 8082 1050 Holley for a Braswell or Book or Whitener and picked up two tenths".

Why exactly is that?
Just from what I have seen the gains if any are marginal at best. Sure if one carb is improperly tuned or has issues and you go get a new ____ brand yeah might see a good measurable gain. Other times ive seen losses.

Some things to remember. Some will post shit not necessarily the whole truth. Remember it is the internet.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Proper carb sizing, but most importantly, already mentioned, atomization and calibration.....

Truth is though, if the carb is properly sized and calibrated for the combo, there will be little if any gain at all. If there is a major gain as you stated, then there was something wrong with the carb they had before the switch.......

·
Registered
29,130 Posts
Proper carb sizing, but most importantly, already mentioned, atomization and calibration.....

Truth is though, if the carb is properly sized and calibrated for the combo, there will be little if any gain at all. If there is a major gain as you stated, then there was something wrong with the carb they had before the switch.......
Exactly. And lots of carbs in my opinion come with something not right from the factory. But, that’s just me.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Think about it: Back in the 60's there were specific 650s and 750s and 850s and whatever-50s, a special one for each different car. Today there are nothing but 'universal one size fits all' carbs....ths might be why you get a custom brand carb, something that will work with YOUR level of vacuum and the rest of your combo.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Only benefit that I had with mine is that I DIDN'T have to touch it. I ran a Dale Cubic 1150 on my engine and I never even changed the jets it came with after 8 years. I ran it on my 548 and my 565. I think any carb that has big gains was going from one that just wasn't working.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts