Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a '70 Buick Skylark this past weekend. Absolutely loving the hell out of the car. But it never starts in the mornings unless I spray some starting fluid into the air cleaner. Don't matter if I pump the gas or not, she just will not start. Spray a little starting fluid into the snorkle and bamb! ...PAH! Engine is a great running Buick 350 with an Edelbrock carbonator. I'm blaming the carb so I am fixing to throw it away and order me a Holley 600dp for it. :D

·
Eddie Haskell
7,849 Posts
Picked up a '70 Buick Skylark this past weekend. Absolutely loving the hell out of the car. But it never starts in the mornings unless I spray some starting fluid into the air cleaner. Don't matter if I pump the gas or not, she just will not start. Spray a little starting fluid into the snorkle and bamb! ...PAH! Engine is a great running Buick 350 with an Edelbrock carbonator. I'm blaming the carb so I am fixing to throw it away and order me a Holley 600dp for it. :D
You could look at the accelerator pump shot in the morning. Those are weak to begin with. Does it have a operating choke? I really like the ease of the Holley for adjustments. You can always sell the Edelbrock to someone you don't like.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could look at the accelerator pump shot in the morning. Those are weak to begin with. Does it have a operating choke? I really like the ease of the Holley for adjustments. You can always sell the Edelbrock to someone you don't like.
That is so true :smt082

It's either the accelerator pump or it's bleeding down over night. Which might be the case because when it does fire up it runs rought for a few minutes then it clears up. It's still a points car so it takes a while to warm up the spark. :cool:

·
Eddie Haskell
7,849 Posts

It's either the accelerator pump or it's bleeding down over night. Which might be the case because when it does fire up it runs rought for a few minutes then it clears up. It's still a points car so it takes a while to warm up the spark. :cool:

How does it fire up after a 30 minute so heat soak?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does it fire up after a 30 minute so heat soak?
It actually fires up right away. I don't even have to pump it at all. I drove it 160 miles home. Stopped for drinks and fuel, jumped in and it fired right up. It will run and fire up great all day long. It's just when I leave it sit overnight that it will not want to fire.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts

Does the car stumble when you accelerate? If it does not, the accelerator circuit might not be at fault.

Does the car have a choke? Is it set “properly”?

On an edelbrock, there is nowhere the gas can “bleed off” to, unlike a Q-jet.

I would start by Double checking your fuel pressure (cranking and running), and pull the top off the carb and check & reset the floats. The floats on an AFB/Edelbrock are very touchy, and hardly ever set up right from the box.

A holley on a car like that would work, but they cost alot, and it may turn that car into a blubbering pig, if you don’t set it up right.

I just put a “summit” 650 on my van, to replace a wore out edelbrock, and try out the "new" design, I and I couldn’t be more happy with it. I messed with the settings, and ended up using it as it came out of the box.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Accelerator pump issues ....Get a Holley

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
It actually fires up right away. I don't even have to pump it at all. I drove it 160 miles home. Stopped for drinks and fuel, jumped in and it fired right up. It will run and fire up great all day long. It's just when I leave it sit overnight that it will not want to fire.
Also, you "just got" this car... Check/replace ALL the fuel filters, external, and a screen in the fuel inlet. and look in the bottom of the carb bowl. IF there is junk floating in there, it may settle to the bottom, clog the jets, and not give it any fuel.

I had this problem on a "Twin H" carter setup I did for a guy, it drove me nuts until I found the leftovers of his rotted fuel line in the bottom of the bowls.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the car stumble when you accelerate? If it does not, the accelerator circuit might not be at fault.
It has a very, very slight stumble. Nothing like a nose over or anything. But yeah, looks like Holley is going to be the way to go. I'm pretty good with those. :D

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, you "just got" this car... Check/replace ALL the fuel filters, external, and a screen in the fuel inlet. and look in the bottom of the carb bowl. IF there is junk floating in there, it may settle to the bottom, clog the jets, and not give it any fuel.

I had this problem on a "Twin H" carter setup I did for a guy, it drove me nuts until I found the leftovers of his rotted fuel line in the bottom of the bowls.
It was all fresh when I got it. The previous owner was fixing it up for his kid but the kid wanted an import instead. That has to suck...lol. I'm gonna pull it apart tonight and give it a good washing out to see if that clear it up. But it's looking more and more like a bad accelerator pump.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
600cfm is not nearly enough. you want at least 750, I run an 800 on mine. Check the fuel pump for bleed off.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
It could be, that's the #3 problem I see with them, after the float setting, and fuel leaking past the booster gaskets.

At least you can find parts for that... some of this off the wall shit people bring me have rawhide pump pistons... gas just eats the shit out of them, and f's everything up...

800 cfm, on a 350 ci street cruiser??? 650 is more than plenty...

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The 350 Buick is nothing like the 350 Chevy. Anything less than 750 cfm will starve it.
Really? Even with points? Well, I did order the Petronix kit for it already. My kid has a nice 750 double pumper on his blower car. I've been meaning to try an 800 double pumper I have on the shelf on his car. Gonna do that and try his 750 on the Buick. What jets do you think I should go with? Engine is basically a stock 4-barrel 350 Buick with 2.25 dual exhaust.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts