Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have made the switch to EFI from carbs did you keep all of your old data acquisition in the car or pull that and just use the EFI for all things data?

With things progressing as they are with what's getting packed into the ECU offerings from Holley, Haltech, FuelTech it seem having a racepak is just kind of redundant at best or completely out moded..

So, what have you guys done and why?

I have a majority of the racepak catalog at the moment.. but for my next combo, I will be efi/nos and am wondering whether to sell off the racepak and run everything through which ever efi ecu I went with... which in all likelihood would be one of the three I've listed.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,467 Posts
Unless you have a Racepak dash and/or use shock sensors, I would sell that stuff and just go with a Holley Dominator ECU setup. PLENTY of data channels, up to 300 samples/sec data acquisition rate, Racepak can go faster which may be useful for shock data, but I only see that on really fast cars (6 second 1/4 mile or faster).

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just switched to a Sniper. I left all of my data acquisition in the car. Mainly because I have no clue how to use the Sniper data yet and already have the sensors for what I have. Once I get a handle on what I'm doing, I'll see what's involved in having all in one if I even can with the Sniper.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless you have a Racepak dash and/or use shock sensors, I would sell that stuff and just go with a Holley Dominator ECU setup. PLENTY of data channels, up to 300 samples/sec data acquisition rate, Racepak can go faster which may be useful for shock data, but I only see that on really fast cars (6 second 1/4 mile or faster).
I do so happen to be your edge case. I do have a V300SD with the dash and do have shock sensors for all 4 corners and have most every other senor in the catalog. lol Now, I bought the shock sensors a while ago from a buddy and haven't run them yet, so I don't know what level of sampling I'd actually require. The car will also be capable of a 6 sec 1/4.

My new car is in the beginning stages of getting up on the table to get done, and I'm questioning whether I need the 10K+ in data acquisition on top of what the new EFI ECU's can handle.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
te one thing ot keep in mind. NHRA will not allow the driveshaft sensor to be connected to the ECU, so if you run any national events this may or may not effect you. Im running the Holley Dominator, and using it for all my data aq. I sold the racepak stuff. I will have a driveshaft sensor in the holley, but will disconnect it to run stupid gas at national events

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
[rant]
Holley's 490 parameters of data make for stupid download times for even 1 minute of data and no way to only select the parameters/channels you want. For that reason, I'm keeping the Autometer/STACK system in my brother's car. I can record up to 200Hz, set the rate on every channel, select only the channels I want to see and the data display manipulation is much more user friendly than Holley. Holley tells you it "can" record up to 300Hz but it will then limit data and/or channels and downsample ones it chooses. Also, the timeslip thingy in Holley doesn't allow negative numbers for RT or 4 digits after the decimal point which is a pain. So is not being able to choose where the data file goes after download and the dumb naming convention that uses the day "number" and then hours/minutes/seconds. STACK and Racepak are much more flexible for working directory and sensible file naming protocols.

Racepak's display and customization make for a way better data download and viewer experience also, IMHO. That, and the average/min/max bars for quick visual data analysis are really good too.

That, and what goneracin said about the driveshaft sensor deal. My brother likes to play Quick 16 once or twice a year so no DS/ECU connection.

Can't talk to Haltech or Fueltech data acq or download speeds.
[/rant]

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
if you set it up to start logging at a certain rpm or tps setting, you wont have much on the front half, and if you click it off at the stripe, you wont have much on the back. so the datalog packet would be smaller. But i agree i dont need to know the size of my opponents penis, but i swear that is in the logfile too......lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
if you set it up to start logging at a certain rpm or tps setting, you wont have much on the front half, and if you click it off at the stripe, you wont have much on the back. so the datalog packet would be smaller. But i agree i dont need to know the size of my opponents penis, but i swear that is in the logfile too......lol
Would still be a "small" file if you were racing me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts