Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know carb spacers are a trial and error deal. Are there some top contenders that I should be trying during an engine dyno session? Should be around 900 HP, NA, one Holley Dominator carb.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
Wilson netted me 30 additional horse on the dyno.

As you mentioned, your results may vary and I'm sure someone is going to say that it's an intake manifold issue. To those I say bull but they're entitled to their opinion as well as I am.

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
I'm running a 4150 carb so I'm running the Wilson 2" tapered spacer pt# 004150

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
If you have room under the hood a 2"open is always good to try, I also like some of the AR spacers like below, available from BLP or Quick Fuel and a few others..

·
Long Live The King
106,089 Posts
I've tried a few over the years: four are missing from this picture

currently run this combo on the 565:

1" super sucker with a 1/2" open under it. It worked well on the dyno. I've never seen close to 30hp out of a spacer, but then again I haven't seen everything there is either. But when I dyno spacers I keep the same timing, jetting, lash, oil temp, water temp, and oil :p ;)

go into it expecting to see 8 -15 hp with the right spacer. Good luck

·
Premium Member
49,715 Posts
I was pleased w\a plastic 4500 HVH and a 1" open on my sbf. Adding the 1" open birch wood netted 10 hp @ 7500rpm
Before my Wilson I had an AED birchwood spacer. It netted me 9 horse on the dyno. So our numbers are very close.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I've tried a few over the years: four are missing from this picture

currently run this combo on the 565:

1" super sucker with a 1/2" open under it. It worked well on the dyno. I've never seen close to 30hp out of a spacer, but then again I haven't seen everything there is either. But when I dyno spacers I keep the same timing, jetting, lash, oil temp, water temp, and oil :p ;)

go into it expecting to see 8 -15 hp with the right spacer. Good luck
Picture looks like whats hanging on our dyno room wall,X2 on what G code posted.When we see a gain with a spacer we like to figure out if it was because of the increased plenum,improved manifold traffic,improved signal to carb etc,WE like shear plates and in most cases find more power with a properly working shear plate and manifold modifications.Have lots of dyno time with spacers ,One engine,a 415 SBC 10 cr 93 octane 500HP.did not want any spacer on the Vic jr or in the car .Some foot brake cars like small plenums and will dyno better with spacer-spacers but not leave the line ,The only time we saw 30 HPgain with a spacer was on a EZ EFI 2.0 on a 440 Mopar,Engine gained HP up high,think it had to do with injector angle.Bill C.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
G-code,

I saw that array from another post you made. Pretty impressive!

Good info in here, guys, I appreciate it. Maybe the dyno facility will have some - I didn't even think to check with them. Some of them are pretty spendy. I currently have a wooden 4-hole, either an inch or inch and a half, can't recall.

·
TEAM CARB
45,418 Posts
I was planning on trying this situation on the dyno...It's looking like I might end up putting it right in the car. Maybe trying it on the track....

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
We did kinda the same thing on the dyno, we tried several of the ones pictured in this thread already and a couple that are not but you can seriously pick up 25-40 horses by using the right one or combo of spacers and adapters....
We tried on our 565 with a single Dominator first a 1" Phenolic open spacer then a HVH 1" Phenolic 4 hole Super Sucker and then we tried a couple of others that were not as good and then came to the same 1" phenolic open spacer and the Reher & Morrison 4 hole Aluminum deal they make and the only difference was in the price....they ran almost to the dead on number exactly the same and if any difference at all it was that the Super Sucker seemed to respond quicker and gave that real crisp, snappy sound you always look for.

So its really what your individual engine needs.
Our combos on this particular Engine produced honest gains of 32 Horses......the cheapest horsepower I have ever bought I can promise you.

I was lucky enough to have a Dyno Shop that had all sorts and types of spacers and adapters and swirl plates so forth and so on and while we didn't try them all we tried the ones that best fit our needs and I went with 1" Open thermo plastic and then the 1" Thermo plastic HVH Super Sucker cause it was as good as the others, the least costly and it just seemed to deliver that real crisp snappy response we were after and have not looked back since.

Randy

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
G-code,

I saw that array from another post you made. Pretty impressive!

Good info in here, guys, I appreciate it. Maybe the dyno facility will have some - I didn't even think to check with them. Some of them are pretty spendy. I currently have a wooden 4-hole, either an inch or inch and a half, can't recall.
What type of motor are you dynoing, and on who's dyno? Just curious.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
I have an assortment as well....

I recently picked up a SOLID .08-.1 at the track with a 1.5" super sucker over a 1" super sucker.

It gained everywhere at the track 60' was better, 1/8th was better and 1/4 & Mph was better

1 - 15 of 15 Posts