Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend, I made the first passes in my car since we put a 9 inch Ford in it. Every pass I made the thing just felt lazy coming off the starting line. I went to larger squirters, no difference. I went to smaller high speed air bleeds, no difference. My question is, since going richer didn't help any, should I go leaner now and try it? By the way, it was about 85 degrees here this weekend.

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too lean, too small a squirter and you get a stumble. Too rich, too big a squirter and you get a slow to respond lazy motor.
I'd say it's too rich then....because it just doesn't seem to want to go leaving the starting line. No stumbles at all. Also I forgot to add, what seemed to help it was shutting down the rear plates and opening the front up a bit more. I guess I will maybe try some 31 squirters now and maybe dial back to 73 on the idle air bleed. One step at a time of course!

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Typically I wouldn't recomend changing air bleeds unless you've tried everything else first.

I don't know how your carb is set up so I won't even begin to tell you what to change I will say this though...

If you are foot braking and leaving at a decent RPM then it is also possible to have a lazy throttle reaction from being too small on the squirters or lacking a sufficient enough pump shot. 30cc pumps when you need 50. The reason I am saying this is, a lean stumble is noticable when you hit it from idle but at rpm it won't always stumble, it's just lazy.

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Typically I wouldn't recomend changing air bleeds unless you've tried everything else first.

I don't know how your carb is set up so I won't even begin to tell you what to change I will say this though...

If you are foot braking and leaving at a decent RPM then it is also possible to have a lazy throttle reaction from being too small on the squirters or lacking a sufficient enough pump shot. 30cc pumps when you need 50. The reason I am saying this is, a lean stumble is noticable when you hit it from idle but at rpm it won't always stumble, it's just lazy.
I went from 33/33 squirters to 35/37 squirters and it ran worse. As far as carburetors go, I've been there done that a few times myself....but I just wanted to get the opinions of others. For what it's worth, the emulsion is VERY aggressive in this combination, so it has more than enough off-idle fuel based on that alone. Also, it's rich at idle already....plus I moved the pump cams around where it increased the pump shot from 30cc to 37.5cc (per the Holley manual) and it gave the car a stumble. So needless to say I put it back where it was before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts