Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this one has been asked countless times but for a track only car it seems the "primitive" carb is the logical choice for a simple
NA application. I think it would be fine for a pro-charger application too.

IMHO if the pros in top fuel etc. are still using carbs they must be just fine for a much lower HP index racer like myself.

I am just wondering what the allure is to run EFI on a car that is not driven on the street? easier to tune? more consistent ? certainly not more economical or easier to install.

I had Holley Projection many years ago when my car was street / strip so I do have experience with aftermarket EFI. I switched to carb because the projection system could not support the new power level.

Are the new systems that much better ? in a few years I may add a pro-charger so wondering if a blow thru carb is the easy way or does it make sense to go back to EFI..

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Just pulled my EFI off in favor of a carb.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Carbs make more power cheaper. EFI is much easier to tune, yes, but much more expensive to buy and set up. I prefer carbed cars but injected bikes, lol. Bike carbs suck to work on.

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
Carbs make more power cheaper. EFI is much easier to tune, yes, but much more expensive to buy and set up. I prefer carbed cars but injected bikes, lol. Bike carbs suck to work on.
Depends on how fast you are.......Price out some Braswell carbs if you think carbs are cheap:p

More power with a carb......only on a dyno

There is a reason lots of nitrous hitters are switching to EFI......It isn't because they make less power

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think nitrous guys are making the switch because they can stage their setups with the right EFI system.
On some systems You run 16 (or more) low impedance injectors plus also have total control over fuel & timing to dial in the hit.

In the pre-efi days you used a NOS progressive controller..

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My experience is;

at WOT the carb vs EFI is the same.

EFI gives you better part throttle and cold starting performance = lower emissions & better fuel economy.
EFI gives you total control over the fuel and timing curves = tame any engine for street use and not compromise WOT performance.

The technology does not scare me I am familiar with it, what DOES scare me is the cost vs a simple 4 barrel carb for a track only car. This seems like a major expense for similar WOT performance on a NA or supercharged application.

I do see it's advantage on a turbo charged engine.

·
Sophomore Member
1,969 Posts
Until this year I was convinced a EFI setup would never be consistent in bracket mode.

But this year I learned what my '86 2.3 Turbo T-Bird likes and the car is a lot more consistent now.
My confidence level is much higher now.
Plus, I am also running a turbo so that makes it even harder to make work as a bracket car.

I use the aftermarket SDS EFI system system. ( speed density)

Carbs might make more peak h.p., but efi can be made to work well at the track.
Just have to spend more money up front for EFI vs. carb tho.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts