Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asking this for a buddy.

He has a 66 Caprice, its gotta be pushing 4000lbs a 327 with ported Camel Backs, Performer RPM intake, I believe a CompCam 268 hyd flat tappet 216 dur .454 lift, headers and dual exhaust, th350 trans, i'm sure his gearing is probably a 3.08 and that he will be changing it to 3.73 or 4.10. Anyways what do you guys recommend for a carb and dizzy, mechanical or vacuum adv, etc?

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Keep the carb to no more than 700 CFM DP or 750 vacuum, with a cam that small a vacuum and mechanical advance is needed. Find where the car runs best without the vacuum hooked up, then hook it back up. It will make it a little better under light loads and more responsive off the footbrake. Get one that gives you adjustment on the vacuum diaphragm for spring tension as well as travel to limit the amount of advance it adds as well as vacuum sensitivity.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

I was telling him maybe a 650DP or 750 Vac and a hopped up HEI. So if he goes with a DP should the distributor also be mechanical or on the other hand a Vacuum secondary carb should go with vacumm adv dist or is it OK to mix and match vacuum and mechanical?

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
With that cam stick with a vacuum advance on the distributor. When you get to around 230 @.050 on a 106 to 108LSA or bigger duration, the vacuum advance isn't needed. Around 240 or so you can lose the mechanical as well. I like the 750 vacuum over the DP, more CFM available if the engine can handle it.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
With that cam stick with a vacuum advance on the distributor. When you get to around 230 @.050 on a 106 to 108LSA or bigger duration, the vacuum advance isn't needed. Around 240 or so you can lose the mechanical as well. I like the 750 vacuum over the DP, more CFM available if the engine can handle it.

X2

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think he is gonna get a pertronix flame thrower HEI and probably the 750 vac secondary.

I was thinking a 600 would be plenty for what he has but he had one and sold it a few years back so I doubt he will buy another one.

Thanks for the help guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts