Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best carb out there now? BBC street and strip, not asking what cfm, just what brand in the Holley line. Last new one I bought was a QF before they were sold out and it worked great but I've talked to several lately that say they are junk now. I was looking at AED, I was thinking of a 850, no choke, and annular boosters but most I looked at had down leg. If I'd try some nitrous, plate system, I figured the annular would work bst but I may be wrong on that. I don't want to spend 6 to $700 or so on a carb and have problems, it seems what was great a year or so ago isn't worth crap now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have 2 APD that are good, have 2 Bob Book carbs that work well, also have a Nuytten dominator that runs within .02 of the APD. All work well both flat out and on a throttle stop.
6-700 will get you about 1/2 way to owning any of the above mentioned carbs unfortunately.
I run mostly alcohol fuel, have one car running E85.
I do have a brand new 950 Book gas carb only used for 4 dyno pulls I will sell, was over $1400 new, I want $1000 for it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Consider this a vote for AED. I have two of their carbs, and very happy with both of them. They are also very good with questions/support.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
i've had great results from AED and JET
just picked up the Ultra XP 850 and i gotta say i really do like it so far, not bad for an out of the box carb

·
Registered
68,903 Posts
What is the best carb out there now? BBC street and strip, not asking what cfm, just what brand in the Holley line. Last new one I bought was a QF before they were sold out and it worked great but I've talked to several lately that say they are junk now. I was looking at AED, I was thinking of a 850, no choke, and annular boosters but most I looked at had down leg. If I'd try some nitrous, plate system, I figured the annular would work bst but I may be wrong on that. I don't want to spend 6 to $700 or so on a carb and have problems, it seems what was great a year or so ago isn't worth crap now.
Street / strip ....... easy peasy ... Quadrajet.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I have accumulated over 50 Q Jets over the years from people who thought they were worthless. They make good street carbs. Jet has them down pat.

·
Registered
28,204 Posts
Randy have you ran their Carbs?My buddy before he passed away was thinking about them for carb for his NMRA Pure Street Car his brother has the car now!!
Yes. Had a legal NHRA 750 by them, and it was identical in performance from my best 750. And I had 13 of them. Then had them do a pair of 660’s for our Dart Buick, and it was .11 better then my good 750. Right out of the box. The first run with the legal 750, we set the IHRA record in 3,300 foot air.

·
Registered
68,903 Posts
I have accumulated over 50 Q Jets over the years from people who thought they were worthless. They make good street carbs. Jet has them down pat.
Val Hedworth builds mine. And like you Mark, I have about half that many sitting on the shelf in the shop and in my basement, combined.

·
Registered
701 Posts
AED for me. John Dickey has answered emails i sent him after getting home late from the track in like 30 mintues. with downlegs mine have all been so good ive never felt the need for an annular. with a big block i really doubt you would need them with an AED. i would get an HP body though, that way you get screw in airbleeds.

·
Registered
19,286 Posts
Yes. Had a legal NHRA 750 by them, and it was identical in performance from my best 750. And I had 13 of them. Then had them do a pair of 660’s for our Dart Buick, and it was .11 better then my good 750. Right out of the box. The first run with the legal 750, we set the IHRA record in 3,300 foot air.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
Stay the hell away from Bob Book carbs.(n)(n) Worst calibration and absolute worst support there could possibly be. One of the most expensive too.

·
Registered
17,245 Posts
please dont bite my head off....But what is wrong with a Holley? Over the years I have only had 3 a 750 on car in avatar, and 850 on my drag car, and this season I switched the 40yo 850 to a 1050 Dominator and it works perfect right out of the box, it idles nice (with some screw turning) and leaves off the TB good. Maybe I should say my drag car is a basic slow BBC bracket car

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Holley 4500 dominator carb calibrations are pig rich out of the box to cover their ass. So no one can say they burned up an engine due to being too lean. If you engine likes that calibration, good for you. Many don't.

Most later Holley 4500s have transfer slot pressed in brass tubes around .080", when they need something around .055", threaded restrictor that can easily be tuned. Having to open the throttle plates too far to get carbs to idle uncovers the transfer slot too much and makes the idle A/F screws non adjustable. Then need more bypass air to get back to normal or adjusting idle RPM on the back barrels so can close the front barrels back down. The idle fuel restrictors are same pressed in brass in the "upper position" which allows air and fuel surging, not consistent. Opening that hole up by pulling that brass tube and adding a threaded restrictor in the "lower Position" about .040" will smooth out the idle circuit. Most dominators have been 3 circuit for years when many would run better with only 2 circuits. Intermediate fuel makes over rich curve a lot of times. Some run better with the intermediate air bleeds completely removed. (Caution here, read plugs to see on a partial pass).. 4150 metering blocks can be modified to work better on the 3 circuit main bodies. The 2 circuit factory dominators have poor calibrations also. Emulsions are all over the place. Mostly 4 or 5 and only need 2. And that is just the basic issues with Holley carbs for performance and street.

A custom carb will only cost about 25% more than a new Holley carb. I think it would be worth it and to have the ability to talk to the builder one on one for tuning if needed and be able to do it with a few threaded plugs.

Rant over.

·
Registered
28,204 Posts
please dont bite my head off....But what is wrong with a Holley? Over the years I have only had 3 a 750 on car in avatar, and 850 on my drag car, and this season I switched the 40yo 850 to a 1050 Dominator and it works perfect right out of the box, it idles nice (with some screw turning) and leaves off the TB good. Maybe I should say my drag car is a basic slow BBC bracket car
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with a good Holley. My best 750 is a stock Holley. I had a kick ass stock 780 single pumper I got rid of cause I thought every 780 ran like that. I was dead wrong. Never acquired its equal. But, there in lies the problem. For example, go buy two identical Holley Carbs and dyno then. Then get back to me. They ain’t all the same. And a good carb builder can bring them up to snuff. I’ve seen 50 hp difference in identical stock carburetors. If you have a good one, hang on to it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts