Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the downside of buying a race car with no title? I can't think of any reason why it would really matter, but shed some light if i am missing something.
Is the value less because of no title??

·
Kelly's Nightmare
4,147 Posts
as long as you get a clean bill of sale to prove the car is not "hot/stolen" then it's all good as far as i know.

check the Vin with the Local PD to make sure nothing comes up that may cause you problems later.

·
Registered
731 Posts
less value...yes
depends how far gone, if the vin numbers are there u can still get an ownership which is usually not that big of a deal depending on your state

·
Motorboatin SOB
10,309 Posts
Value goes down...make sure to ask why it doesnt have a title.

Get a bill of sale signed by you and the seller...might be able to get a new title in your name as long as its not stolen lol.

·
Registered
12,147 Posts
If you REALLY want to title it later you can do it as a salvage vehicle. Or, buy another of the same type of car as a junker for cheap. Use the Vin number off that. I have done both successfully. (in NY State)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you REALLY want to title it later you can do it as a salvage vehicle. Or, buy another of the same type of car as a junker for cheap. Use the Vin number off that. I have done both successfully. (in NY State)
i can't think of why i would need a title other than resale and not having to go through the process of explaining why it doesn't have a title.
if i decide i want a title i will do what you said.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The more of a race car it is, the less it will matter. Like some others have said, it would be easy to get some kind of a title later if you wanted to just to help you sell it.

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
If it's strictly a track car then a bill of sale should suffice. Tube chassis cars may have a serial # from the constructor but they don't have VIN's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.