Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Trying to quiet my exhaust down note by about 25 percent or so... would these things help any at all? Also saw some longer, wrapped inserts ones but I'm limited on the length to <6"

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mardyn

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
81,122 Posts
I DON'T SEE HOW THAT'S GONNA QUIET ANYTHING DOWN

·
Registered
4,846 Posts

Trying to quiet my exhaust down note by about 25 percent or so... would these things help any at all? Also saw some longer, wrapped inserts ones but I'm limited on the length to <6"

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

mardyn

a friend of mine on another forum tried those on his solid roller sbc using hooker 4 into 1 side pipe headers and with (2) inserts per side it barely quieted it down at all

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I think these would work, but I hate the appearance of these sticking out of the rear of the car.

·
Budget Beater
1,504 Posts
They wont do much, that's the same thing used for motorcycles and they dont work worth a crap on them, I bought some to quiet my Honda VTX and it didn't hardly change the loudness, just the tone

·
Registered
16,439 Posts
Don't waste your time. No packing material = no quieter car. How much space do you have to work with?

·
Registered
634 Posts
i have and use the supertrapp for this exact purpose. while searching for a lightweight solution i stumbled upon them and am happy with their tunability; as in decibels not so much performance. i run only 4 discs on the street and the car is acceptable quiet on the street but is an absolute turd when any load is applied much more than 3000 rpms. i have a cutout that i can open when i want to let her eat and would recommend doing that as well. one can disassemble the supertrapp with ease so having a cutout is not essential. i also came up with an aesthetic solution to cover the supertrapp but instead of integrating it i just cut my exhaust under my car so it can not be seen.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Don't waste your time. No packing material = no quieter car. How much space do you have to work with?
Not much room at all... I have about 6" of 3.5" pipe (on each side) in which I'd like to insert a baffle of some type.

How about something like a stack of 6 or 8 SuperTrapp discs with a large hole cut in the center of each one?

Here's what I'm working with:

again, any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.

mardyn

·
Beer makes me pee
9,746 Posts
They make some real short glass packs, we used them in a vega. All they do is take the edge of of it though. Super traps will kill the performance. All they do is restrict the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
twin 70's would quiet it down some?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
your screwed like someone posted them small soup can baffles will not help and with glass or s steel packing not much if any 25% is alot when it comes to sound .i hate super traps but less you can put a bullet muffler in there it going to be a job to not end up with a super trap

·
Registered
868 Posts
Good luck quieting that thing down. There is a GT that comes to the TX mile, a black one I beieve. Out of everyting I have sen there over 3 years, his car is the only one you can hear all the way down!
I would try some sort of bullet or build a "muffler" that you can run both pipes into and out of right there maybe just a box full of packing.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
twin 70's would quiet it down some?

I like that idea, but the $25K is a little more than I'd planned on spending for some peace & quiet.

I can always reinstall the original muffler but that thing weighs a ton and is a huge heat sink in the engine compartment, not to mention it's right near the intake air plenum...

mardyn

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Mardyn, sorry for being funny, but it really looks like your screwed with what's available commercially. You might try speaking with a few private fabricators and see if they can maybe use the existting pipe..... drill a bunch of holes and wrap the pipe, then cover with some type of metal. Basically make the existing pipes the mufflers? Don't know if that is even possible?

·
Registered
16,439 Posts
Not much room at all... I have about 6" of 3.5" pipe (on each side) in which I'd like to insert a baffle of some type.

How about something like a stack of 6 or 8 SuperTrapp discs with a large hole cut in the center of each one?

Here's what I'm working with:

again, any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.

mardyn
I would run a couple of magnaflow 14" long X 4" round mufflers transverse where you have your 180* bends. Or a grand national transverse muffler in the same location IF you have the space. You will probably need to reconfigure your outlets on the cats and cut the necks off of whatever mufflers and make the necks part of the bends. Maybe add the flanges to the back of the cat instead of after that first 90* bend. I've fit one of those GN mufflers in a Ferrarri Testarossa.....same style set up.....you gotta get creative, but it can be done.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
The dynatech cone inserts do work. I ran a single 4" behind a 600 hp smallblock. I had it welded into a turndown and had the turndown fall off a few times and you could immediately hear a difference. Twin 3.5's would tone it down for sure.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
i know a builder of mufflers in the past i have had him baffle tube then use s steel wool or glass but you have not any surface area to make this work for you

1 - 20 of 60 Posts