Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing my first paint job with Single Stage Enamel and its going good. I had some runs so I wet sanded them out.

Its been a couple of days now and I can get back on it. What would you use to wipe the car down with to make sure there is no grease on the body panels. Now that there is paint on the car so I can resume shooting? Thanks!

·
Señor Member
29,700 Posts
Doing my first paint job with Single Stage Enamel and its going good. I had some runs so I wet sanded them out.

Its been a couple of days now and I can get back on it. What would you use to wipe the car down with to make sure there is no grease on the body panels. Now that there is paint on the car so I can resume shooting? Thanks!
http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/prep-all

Any similar product will work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Now that you have sanded out the runs you are repainting? Can you just buff it out? No matter what, a really good wax and grease remover should always be on hand. Not only now, but before you painted it the first time.

Goodluck. Painting isn't hard, it's just knowing the products and selecting everything that will work together that can be tricky.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
I like using spray can glass cleaner for something I'm sanding and re-clearing,just to remove a little residue,not that a regular pre paint cleaner wouldn't work,if what you're using is acrylic enamel and not catalyzed the solvent might want to soften it a bit

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
Be careful about wiping down and re-spraying enamel. It can do all sorts of stuff. Was it catalyzed?

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Its my first paint job, so I want to make sure If I screw it up I know exactly why. So I would like to wipe it down before painting again just for piece of mind since my hand was probably touched some pieced of the body.

I don't even know what Catalyzed means. I got 300 bucks total including sand paper into this paint job so its not a foose shoot but just trying to get it respectable.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Its my first paint job, so I want to make sure If I screw it up I know exactly why. So I would like to wipe it down before painting again just for piece of mind since my hand was probably touched some pieced of the body.

I don't even know what Catalyzed means. I got 300 bucks total including sand paper into this paint job so its not a foose shoot but just trying to get it respectable.
It means did you add a hardener to the paint. This would have been added to the paint along with the reducer just before spraying.

·
El Diablo
12,395 Posts
If the paint has hardened, you need to scuff the whole car before you paint any more coats or the whole second coat will peel off like a tater chip. I wouldn't wipe it down with anything other than what the supplier recommends.

·
Team Retard
12,443 Posts

You don't necessarily have to repaint after fixing a run ( size depending) But since you are past that you are going to have to repaint the entire panel your working with. If you didn't catalyze the paint time will be the factor in recoat and refinish. You don't have the luxtury of blending and time that you have with base/clear.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
If the paint has hardened, you need to scuff the whole car before you paint any more coats or the whole second coat will peel off like a tater chip. I wouldn't wipe it down with anything other than what the supplier recommends.
And if it did not get hardener, you run a pretty good risk that the recoat will cause the existing coat to wrinkle up like an old prune if it has been more than a few hours since the aborted coat.

Go ask the paint supplier what you need to do for recoating what you have already applied. They will know. You may have to have it baked if it's not catalyzed....or wait x amount of time now.

·
Team Retard
12,443 Posts
And if it did not get hardener, you run a pretty good risk that the recoat will cause the existing coat to wrinkle up like an old prune if it has been more than a few hours since the aborted coat.

Go ask the paint supplier what you need to do for recoating what you have already applied. They will know. You may have to have it baked if it's not catalyzed....or wait x amount of time now.
That's is why I mentioned re-coat time. I've always waited when re-coating non catalyzed single stage, and finish buffing. It bit me in the ass once, the first time I used it and didn't know the difference.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can also wet sand the whole car and clear coat it. You are going to have to sand the whole car any route you take. I always wet sand with a little bit of dawn soap in my water this helps remove contaminants.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts