Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why would my car start to fall over in the top of first gear only . but when i shift into second all power is back for the rest of the 1/4.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Do you have a limiter on it? Late shifting going up against the limiter in first gear. What type ignition box? If programmable check your setting on the shift points for first gear. Just food for thought.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Need more information about the combination. Could be valve float (hyd/SR?), fuel delivery (floats low), or ignition.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Jet extensions, fuel delivery/press? Is car popping or misfiring in any way? Seen this happen a lot due to no jet extensions and/or low rear float level. Car has enough fuel to run out near end of 1st gear then falls flat and rpms and G force go down and fuel can keep up with car not accelerating as hard the rest of the run. What cam/lifer/spring comb moreo? Could be floating valves but it should pop and raise hell if that is going on to any degree. More info needed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
solid roller cam msd digital 6 plus magna fuel pro star 500 pump manley nextech springs. the springs are a little stronger than cam calls for so valve float is not likley, just rechecked there pressure 500 miles ago. the carb has jet extensions. i just raised the fuel level in bowls and put fuel pressure up to 8.5 lbs from 6.75 lbs. so i have to try it out soon. and for the misfiring or popping in any way , thats a no ,the g force just falls flat car sounds smooth other wise

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
more info..........cam specs,rev limiter,shift point etc.
Cam is a comp cam 12-900-9 rev limit is 7,200 trying to shift at 6,800 but in first the car falls flat at 5,800-6,200 so I shift there and I don't find out if it goes higher than that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
May sound crazy...check your fuel filter. If you have foam in your cell then it may be coming loose and clogging your filter???

·
Registered
785 Posts
Why do you want to shift at 6800??

From Summits site:

Basic Operating RPM Range3,200-6,200Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift252Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift258Duration at 050 inch Lift252 int./258 exh

If your shifting by a light at 6800 your going well into the 7000 range by the time you pull the shift in first gear.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why do you want to shift at 6800??

From Summits site:

Basic Operating RPM Range3,200-6,200Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift252Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift258Duration at 050 inch Lift252 int./258 exh

If your shifting by a light at 6800 your going well into the 7000 range by the time you pull the shift in first gear.
I'd be shifting at 6,800 my shift light comes on at 6,500

·
Registered
785 Posts
IMO the cam is done at 6200 and in a 400 cu. in. maybe sooner. I'm running a 406 and my cam is SR 264/270 @ .050 and I pull the shifter at 6600 and my playback says 7000 (in first gear). If I shift any higher it slows me down.

Is this a new combination or did this problem just start?

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
No foam in tank but I'll check the filter anyway.
You're running the stock tank ?
If so, did you install a "sump" kit or are you using the stock pick-up?

What size fuel line / hoses are you running from the tank all the way to the carb?

Running a vented cap ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You're running the stock tank ?
If so, did you install a "sump" kit or are you using the stock pick-up?

What size fuel line / hoses are you running from the tank all the way to the carb?

Running a vented cap ?

im running a custom aluminum tank thats shaped just like an oem tank but a little bigger. it has a sump in the center of the tank at rear and is lower than rest of the car. i have -12an line to filter than pump,-10an out of pump to regulator and-08 x2 out of reg. to the carb. it has a boat style cap on it and the tank has a -6an vent tube that goes up into the car than back out to get the height. i always run the car with a completely full tank.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts