Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
spent 8 hrs cutting and welding on firewall installing a willwood brake pedal and dual MC , went to mount the MC and I had measured wrong and cut the holes wrong, had to cut it all out and start over, what screw ups have you done when build your car

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
There ain't enough time or pages to document my fuck-ups.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Ever flare a brake line and realize you forgot to put the fitting on first!
My most recent screw up, I changed oil pans on an engine on my run stand and got it all buttoned up and refilled with oil and realized the pickup tube was still sitting on the bench.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Enough to crash this site if i listed everything. The real question is how many screw ups have you done more than once? That answer should be 0

·
Registered
8,147 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bought a new pair of weld wheels, drill the holes for the beadlock screws and then remember you changed lug spacing when you got the new axles.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Biggest screw up is easy. It's starting the build in the first place.;)

yep! way cheaper by half to buy a finished car, then to build yourself, plus you save a year or 2 of your life!

·
Registered
258 Posts
My 72 Nova was a street car back in 1988, I had just had the car painted, new wheels, carpet, headliner, the whole 9 yards to make her a lady. I took my bench seat out, had it reupholstered, reinstalled it in car then proceeded to sit in it with a screwdriver in my back pocket......................

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,245 Posts
If you haven't screwed something up then either you are a liar or you pay others to build your shit!

I made a really nice nitrous bottle bracket mounting flange, welded it to the floor of my car right where I wanted it. Put a bottle in there, sat in the car, realized I had about 2 inches between the bottle valve and my right elbow. Fine if nothing ever went wrong, but we all know how shit can happen! Had to cut it all out, grind the floor flat again, move that sucker back! Never fails, something always goes wrong.........

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
latest one I did was measure once and cut the fuel hose,cut it a inch to short.had extra to make it again,lucky that time!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Cut notch in door bar reversed. lay against a hot weld positioning for another weld. Install motor, notice flexplate on bench. My all time favorite, install new high rise intake, slam hood shut, you know the rest. I'll stop here, don't want writers cramp.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Spent an hour trying to mount my auto trans, bellhousing bolts stop with at least a 1/4”-1/2” to go. Pull trans to see a pilot bearing I missed. At least I had the sense to not snug the bolts lol. Mounted the trans dipstick with the hood off, luckily it barely clears. Once when I was around 23 thought I blew my fuel pump in my 80 Malibu. call a buddy to pick up a cheapo at autozone, rig it up, open the cell-yep outta gas.

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
17,345 Posts
I don't think there is enough room on the internet to write all my fuck ups. I remember vividly not welding the pickup tube on an oil pump an got about 5 miles out of that engine before it spun a bearing, being in a hurry and reaching in the passenger side of the car to turn the bottles on and actually shut them off. Forgetting to open the ball valve on my nitrous fuel cell and nipping a couple Pistons due to no fuel. Shall I go on?

·
Shrewd Negotiator
10,058 Posts
My 72 Nova was a street car back in 1988, I had just had the car painted, new wheels, carpet, headliner, the whole 9 yards to make her a lady. I took my bench seat out, had it reupholstered, reinstalled it in car then proceeded to sit in it with a screwdriver in my back pocket......................
That's rough! Not my car but one day at work, I had to pull the leather door panel in a brand new at-the-time Buick car. Maybe a LaCrosse. I don't remember exactly. It had just been in last week for issues with the window intermittently not going down. Well, the guy they had on it used a flathead screwdriver to pry at the door panel and the screwdriver slipped, gashing the hell out of the leather door panel. Then he didn't even find anything wrong with the window. So they send the people home, order a new panel and tell them they'll call them to schedule an appt to have us replace the door panel when it gets here, obviously at no cost to them.

Fast forward to the day of the appt. They bring the car in and give it to me to look at the window again and replace the panel with the new one. So I find the issue with the window once I swapped the passenger switch to the drivers side and it worked perfectly. Order new switch.

So I go to install the panel and for some dumbass reason, I grab a flathead. I remember even telling myself not to, but talked myself into doing it anyway "I was gonna be careful and not fuck up". Lmao. Rightttttttt. Screwdriver slips and digs directly into the brand new leather door panel. $4-500 down the drain. Talk about disappointed. Good thing was that somehow, they got that panel covered, also. Or paid out of the dealerships' pocket. I know I didn't pay for it. So yea, I fucked that up pretty good. I was pretty disappointed with myself for that one. I had plastic pry tools a few feet away, in all likelihood. I know I had them at the time. I just don't remember exactly where my tool cart was at that moment.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Install motor, notice flexplate on bench.
That reminds me of when I was putting my distributor in and I noticed I hadn't put the driveshaft on the oil pump when I installed it. Out comes the engine...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts