Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Family member was in an accident rear ended. A buddy said to contact the persons insurance who hit them and not there own because it will go up. Is this true. Any info would be helpful

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is good and bad with both approaches. Turn it into your insurance company and as long as you don't have Progressive and you manage the claim and repairs correctly you should be out no more than your deductible and when/if they ever collect you will get your deductible back. Dealing with 3rd party insurer can be a real hassle but again, if properly managed, it should be ok.
Check out www.collisionconsulting .com for the best advice and info. Diminished value is collectible from the 3rd party insurer but don't expect your insurer to help on that. No insurance company wants to admit or pay for DV.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Just tell them to let there insurance company know they were in an accident,Then hopefully they have all the info from the the person who hit them.Next you contact there insurance company and tell them the name of the driver who hit them, they will/should start a claim.If there driver was cited there are responsible for your repairs. .........Unlike 8982's reply you will not be out your deductible as there insurance company is responsible for EVERYTHING.Now if you feel you are getting the run around from the other insurance company you can then contact yours and they should step in and make sure you are being treated fairly.They only way you will have to pay the deductible is if you have your insurance company fix the car and then they will go after the guy who hit them and get your Money back

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Family member was in an accident rear ended. A buddy said to contact the persons insurance who hit them and not there own because it will go up. Is this true. Any info would be helpful
If they file it through their own company they will have to pay their collision deductible unless both are insured by the same company then wait for the other company to be subragated against to get back the amount their company paid plus the deductible, this process and take up to 12 months. I always tell my clients to file with the other company to save that money out of pocket.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I would file a claim with the other insurance company, unless they have a shit insurance company like Geico, Progressive ect. It would be better in the long run to get the car fixed with good OEM parts and pay the 500 deductable in the long run.

·
Budget Beater
1,504 Posts
I would file a claim with the other insurance company, unless they have a shit insurance company like Geico, Progressive ect. It would be better in the long run to get the car fixed with good OEM parts and pay the 500 deductable in the long run.

Why do you say Geico and progressive are shit companies? :confused: I have had Geico for some time, they have taken care of my claims fast and with no hassles whatsoever and they paid for OEM parts. We are taking two cars to get estimates from the second hail storm in a month in a hour, don't expect any problems this time around.

Sorry for the hijack lowazztruck!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Why do you say Geico and progressive are shit companies? :confused: I have had Geico for some time, they have taken care of my claims fast and with no hassles whatsoever and they paid for OEM parts. We are taking two cars to get estimates from the second hail storm in a month in a hour, don't expect any problems this time around.

Sorry for the hijack lowazztruck!
The aftermarket parts laws change from state to state. I know here in NJ everytime we get a Geico claim the parts they used are always the cheapest available first "economy part or Capa certified" "LKQ" used. These are late model Infinitis, BMW's, Acura's too. Ask the body shop to go over the Geico estimate with you before they begin repairs, so you dont run into problems later on with resale value and lease returns.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Get a lawyer.
Every time I've been in an accident it's been the other guys fault. And every time the insurance wanted to dick me around. I got so tired of the bullshit I just call my attorney now. Phuk 'em!

For example my wife's garage queen Mustang was backed into. Smashed the door and front fender really bad. Got a call from the body shop said they wanted to show me the repair parts the insurance guy dropped off. Rusted up dented pieces of shit. Called the lawyer on the spot. Got all new parts as it should have been. The car had less than 18K miles on it and was never driven in rain or snow. It was cleaner than the day it was built.

Go ahead flame away I don't give a flyin' phuk. Or better yet you try and deal with the insurance adjusters where I live.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The aftermarket parts laws change from state to state. I know here in NJ everytime we get a Geico claim the parts they used are always the cheapest available first "economy part or Capa certified" "LKQ" used. These are late model Infinitis, BMW's, Acura's too. Ask the body shop to go over the Geico estimate with you before they begin repairs, so you dont run into problems later on with resale value and lease returns.
Cause Geico has a 150% loss ratio in NJ, and they have their own issues.. State Farm, and Allstate guarantees their work of the life of the repair, Progressive releases their information (car Fax).. Injuries always need to be called into your own carrier. Farmers Insurance just arrived in NJ, and they look pretty good so far.. this is only a sample of scenarios.

call your Agent before making any claim, if you have just an 1-800 to call, then your screwed..
Anytime you place a claim, or inquiry onto your policy this activity could shake the hornets nest, and could throw red flags around renewal time...

·
Registered
810 Posts
Get a lawyer.
Every time I've been in an accident it's been the other guys fault. And every time the insurance wanted to dick me around. I got so tired of the bullshit I just call my attorney now. Phuk 'em!

For example my wife's garage queen Mustang was backed into. Smashed the door and front fender really bad. Got a call from the body shop said they wanted to show me the repair parts the insurance guy dropped off. Rusted up dented pieces of shit. Called the lawyer on the spot. Got all new parts as it should have been. The car had less than 18K miles on it and was never driven in rain or snow. It was cleaner than the day it was built.

Go ahead flame away I don't give a flyin' phuk. Or better yet you try and deal with the insurance adjusters where I live.
the emotion you have attached to your car, is not the same as the insurance company feelings, it's cost and repair, but have you ever heard of someone getting killed after the insurance company paid out the claim? how many cars are under insured cause you wanted to save money, and when you had to cash in, and you come up short... remember insurance companies pay out 1.25 for every dollar coming in... everyone wants to beat the system..

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Had someone cross the double yellow line, hit my truck,go up on trailer, almost total my Camaro....over $15K in damages.... My insurance didn't go up a penny......no fault of mine.

Cellphone pic at scene still on totaled trailer........

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
the emotion you have attached to your car, is not the same as the insurance company feelings, it's cost and repair, but have you ever heard of someone getting killed after the insurance company paid out the claim? how many cars are under insured cause you wanted to save money, and when you had to cash in, and you come up short... remember insurance companies pay out 1.25 for every dollar coming in... everyone wants to beat the system..
By the way you talk you must have something to do with insurance and don't imply that I'm cheap. You have no clue who I am or what I spend.

I could give a shit if the insurance company can't run their business. Oh boo hoo we pay out more than we take in every time there's a claim. Cry me a phuckin' river.:smt089

If they pay out $1.25 for every $1 they take in they would not be in business. Do the math.
And it has nothing to do with emotion. If you fuck up my shit it will get put back to the condition it was in before you wrecked it.
I have an excellent insurance rep and he makes sure I have the best coverage for my toys. It ain't my fault if the other guy cheaps out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Cause Geico has a 150% loss ratio in NJ, and they have their own issues.. State Farm, and Allstate guarantees their work of the life of the repair, Progressive releases their information (car Fax).. Injuries always need to be called into your own carrier. Farmers Insurance just arrived in NJ, and they look pretty good so far.. this is only a sample of scenarios.

call your Agent before making any claim, if you have just an 1-800 to call, then your screwed..
Anytime you place a claim, or inquiry onto your policy this activity could shake the hornets nest, and could throw red flags around renewal time...
I dont think the 150% loss rate is an excuse to use cheap parts for repairs, besides im sure some of the billion dollars they spend on advertising a year could be used for better parts for their customers and offset the losses.

As for insurance company guarantees they are worthless. They are now making their DRP shops sign Hold harmless contracts getting themselves off any liabilities with the claim, your problems are only guaranteed by the body shop. We had a late model Honda come in for repairs when Geico first came in NJ. Geico wrote for a A/M 99$ over seas made left front axle shaft, the owner or Geico would not pay for the $160 difference for OEM. Geico stated they would guarantee the part for the life of the vehicle, OK 6 months later transmission is blown, vehicle is still under full factory warranty. Guess what Honda dealer denied the claim for a new transmission because of the A/M axle. Geico's great guarantee would only pay 50% of the $3200 cost to replace transmission. Thank God the service manager let me off the hook by me sending him a check for 260 for the OEM axle and replacing the trans at no cost under warranty.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I always go through my company even if its not my fault. Mainly because the other company drags their feet when they are dealing with you and if you go with your own company it goes nice and quick. You pay your company to deal with the bullshit so why should you. If it is a clear case of the other persons fault then the deductable wont be an issue but if theres a haggle then its worth the wait to get your ded back after your company is done with all the bullshit attached to dealing with the other company. I learned my lesson after my beautiful 69 camaro got blasted from the rear while at a red light, the other company "colonial penn" worst company ever! they actually jerked me for like a month first saying there was a chance the guy let his insurance lapse and they were checking into it and then the next excuse was that he never reported it and they couldnt reach him to verify it. I had the police report and all, they royally stroked me as long as they could. After that I left it up to the people I pay every month to do their job.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Get one of those ambulance chasing lawyers, they are everywhere here in Texas, figured they will be all over the place everywhere. You will be rich!!!!!

Watch the vid and see for yourself!!!:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoRJXUFVsys

·
Registered
568 Posts
The experience I have had has been if you file on your own insurance for full coverage, yes you will have the deductable, but afterwards the insurance company contacts me to see if they have any other avenue or means of payment. Like another responsible party or insurance company to sue. Some other way to keep them from having to pay and not themselves.
I've been sued by other insurance company and thats what happened to me.

Mike L in Ga

1 - 17 of 17 Posts