Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a canted valve head always better than an in-line (wedge) valve head? If both types flow roughly the same and cross sectional area is roughly the same would there be a power difference?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Im not sure. But there is alot of 12.5-13* degree heads out there that flow pretty well...430-445cfm W/2.20-2.25 valve VS> 2.3" valve/450-460cfm canted stuff. Hard to say.
I think it would come down to fuel being used and spark plug location. But what block are we talking?
Alot of the Canted stuff has a different Cylinder Bore spacing too.
IMO it would come down to the person(s) building the motor more than just a head change. Experience with what works with these different heads goes along way!

T-flow

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I have always been told that a inline could make more power but there are a lot of varibles!

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
If dyno power is the only consideration, .. canted valve to some degree, .. and in some combinations it's not always a large difference.

However, sometimes an in-line head is proper for the application. Cylinder heads, .. port cross section, valve cant, delivery into the
chamber, wet flow, velocity profile, .. all of this stuff gives a head a "personality".
You can have two engines make identical power on the dyno and "race" VERY different on the track.

like so many other discussions on YB where it's attempted to make things black and white, ..
it's just not that simple.

Curtis

·
Registered
68 Posts
Two similarly sized heads with the difference being the valve arranement lends to the canted design every time. They will move more air thru the mid lift under the curve with the same cross section and valve size.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If dyno power is the only consideration, .. canted valve to some degree, .. and in some combinations it's not always a large difference.

However, sometimes an in-line head is proper for the application. Cylinder heads, .. port cross section, valve cant, delivery into the
chamber, wet flow, velocity profile, .. all of this stuff gives a head a "personality".
You can have two engines make identical power on the dyno and "race" VERY different on the track.

like so many other discussions on YB where it's attempted to make things black and white, ..
it's just not that simple.

Curtis
I'll have to agree with this statement.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
canted head ? please-

spend money on getting the car to work and leave the canted selling stuff to head porters that know fuck all in order to fool you

Ed

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Do you want to go fast?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Even if the in-line head flows a little more or about the same throughout the lift range? I know the canted valve should have a flow advantage but if you take that away would it still have more power potential?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I just went with an inline head i am hoping that it runs just as good as the canted stuff with less valve train problems and better geomety hopefully it will be more reliable and make just as much power as a canted if not more. SBF But i got a really good Head guy :) Letting him figure out what will and will not make power for my application

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Another screen name? Really?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts